Performer on a deck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike Drewery

TVWBB Super Fan
I have always kept charcoal on the ground or in my driveway but now it limits how much I use my performer. Has anyone had an issue fire-wise with one on a deck? I will get a deck mat but it seems pretty well contained.

All recommendations are not to grill on a wooden deck. Having said that, all my grills are on one.

I have had no fire on the deck, although the cover to my WSM blew from the railing onto my Performer while I was lighting the chimney. There was quite a fire, albeit in the grill.

YMMV.

You can get fireproof concrete barbecue mats at places like Home Depot. They're a little on the pricey side, but cheaper than a new deck.

Bill

i don't really worry about it. my ots would drop hot coals out sometimes, but the otg ash catcher seems to keep it contained a little better. keep a fire extinguisher handy and you should be fine.

As a fire fighter I have seen many burned decks and homes caused by people cooking on charcoal grills on wood decks. many times the first that the homeowner knows about it is when the fire trucks pull up in front of their house at 3 AM. A small diplaced coal would smolder for a few hours and then light off burning up the deck and the back of the house. A passer by would be the one calling in the fire. Often smoke detectors will not alarm because the fire is on the outside of the house. I have even seen where a large fire was in the attic, caused by a charcoal grill on the deck. The fire started on the deck, went up through the vented soffit and into the attic. There was very significant damage. I say all that to say this, I do not grill with my WSM on my deck. The risk, for me and my family, is just to great for for the little bit of connivence it offers.

My grilling/smoking is on a concrete patio only because I don't have a wooden deck, but at our hunting camp, a friend mounted a kettle in a wooden table. I was not there that night but the thing was just outside our camper. Some lit bricketts had been spilt on the lower part of the table. Just as Eric pointed out the table started flaming up at 2:00 am. The crackling and popping noises alerted my friend who had woke up to take a leak. Coulda been bad. If ya grill on wood, your taking a big risk!

I am lucky enough to have a deck that is just 1-step down to the ground. I laid a 4' x 6' patio brick platform on the ground next to my deck and that is where do my grillng. during Michigan winters, which I do less charcoal grilling I bring my OTS onto the deck.
In the future I plan on converting a portion of my deck platform to tile or brick to accommodate my grills.

Wow.

I've been smoking/grilling on a wood deck since 1997. And I know a lot of people that have done it for much longer.

Common sense will go a long way in preventing bad things from happening.

Terre,

A retired firefighter that worked for 30 years for our department just lost his house to a fire. The cause was an ember form his pipe. He was on his wood deck smoking his after dinner pipe the same as he had done for over 20 years. He put his pipe out in the same spot he always had, only this time a smoldering ember caught his deck on fire. We got the call at 0300. when we arrived the deck fire had spread into his house and he and his wife barely made it out. They lost the dog and everything else. The house and everything it was a total lost. Just because you get away for something for a period of time does not mean it wont eventually be a problem. And common sense says not to use charcoal on a wood deck.

I guess I'm lucky that my new place doesn't have a deck. (Just bought my first house) I'm pretty sure the moss growing over my paver patio acts as an extra flame retardant.

I believe the line is... "I have the right to remain silent".... LOL

Been using my 22.5 Silver on my pressure treated lumber deck for about 5 years. Have the battle scars to prove it. Will be doing to repairs in the next month or two and will try to post some picks. Fortunately, nothing tooooooo serious.

Henry Jr

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back