Performer Kettle lid

NeilH

TVWBB Emerald Member
Do any of your kettle lids fit kind of loose? I can push down on the back of mine and it seems to have a little to much play. Just wondering if this is normal.

My kettle lids fit looser than WSM or Smokey Joe lids. Seems like they have always been that way.
They seem to work fine though.

Neil, it may be warped a bit. I've noticed it more on the 26's. My 22 was fine but I have seen them where they don't sit flush and kind of wobble. This may sound a bit extreme, I never did it on my 22 but I have on the 26 and that's a ring of Nomex. It takes up any warpage and seals up any spaces between the bowl and the lid. You would not need much. I used something like 7 feet for the 26. I only did it because of the LNS I'm doing and the weight of the lid. I've seen 26's chipped around the top edge of the bowl. But now that I've done it, I would use it on a 22 as well.

The Nomex is really nice to work with, and will make a perfect seal like Gary said. I used it on my new WSM last week before the first cook. I did not do the door I wanted to see how good of a fit it had first. It leaked and you could see smoke coming from it. So today I put the Nomex on the door. Doing another Smoke tomorrow and will see how it work's.

Back