Performer ignition issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dennis Haner

TVWBB Super Fan
Two weeks ago I could not get my Performer to ignite with the push button igniter. I had a full tank of gas and lit the end of the tube with a BBQ lighter. Weber sent me a new igniter assembly and I put it in yesterday. Still does not work. I cleaned the tube and ground area, and I can see it sparking inside the tube, but it still won't light the gas. Gas is coming out and I can light it with a BBQ lighter. Any ideas?

I had the same problem when I replaced my igniter. I cannot remember exactly but I had to play around with the distance between the igniter core and the tube. Once I got the correct distance it fires up like a champ.

Agree with Rob. If you can light it with a flame then you've got the gas pressure you need; has to be the spark. Can you describe the spark you see when you look down the tube? Should be a clean blue arc stemming from the electrode and reaching to the other side of the inside of the burner tube, in a straight-ish line. Even if it does look good, like Rob said distance could be the issue. If you didn't clean the inside of the burner tube (where the arc occurs) then you could try that - with electrical contact cleaner if you have it (avail. at radioshack - good stuff to have on hand), or isopropyl alcohol if that's what you've got.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back