Performer Igniter

Status
Not open for further replies.

RDOwens

TVWBB Super Fan
I have a 2002 SS Performer I picked up off of CL. The igniter has not worked since I got it. I ordered the part from Weber and installed it just now.

I can light the grill, but it takes multiple pushes on the button . . . a dozen or so.

I am thinking that perhaps I need to clean the tube. Reading through some old threads seemed to indicate that should be done annually or so.

What does one use to clean the tube? It's dark and raining right now, but is the tube easily accessible?

That is the reason I was able to buy my ss performer from craigs list. Find where the end of the burner Closest to the tank and clean it out with a coat hanger or other such wire. You will probably find a small or big spider nest in the tube. I Did

After rain all day yesterday, I had to wait until to today to address this. I got the coat hanger in and wiggled. Nothing seemed to come out or move, but the igniter appears to be working as it should.

One thing down . . . there's still a couple more items to deal with.

Thanks!

instead of starting another thread ill ask here. i just installed a 20lbs propane tank with adapter on my performer. it works perfectly but when i push the ignition there is a loud popping sound. just wondering if this normal.

Originally posted by RDOwens:
I have a 2002 SS Performer I picked up off of CL. The igniter has not worked since I got it. I ordered the part from Weber and installed it just now.

I can light the grill, but it takes multiple pushes on the button . . . a dozen or so.
Is it because the gas pressure blows out the igniter spark? My gas flow is too high. To get it to ignite I have to power the gas flow down to a minimum and then ignite. Then all is fine.

There appeared to be a blockage. Once I rattled a coat hangar in there, all has worked as expected. I didn't see anything when I did so. Perhaps all I did was move something around.

I am not sure what happened, but it is working.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back