Performer for lefties

Lee Ingraham

TVWBB Fan
Hey all,

I've largely been on the WSM side of the forum as I don't have a kettle, but as my hand me down charcoal grill is starting to show its age (legs are rusting out, have had to remove the upper shelf and the majority of the adjustable charcoal tray) I've been looking into Weber kettles and Napoleon kettles. I really like the extra workspace and gas ignite on the WPD, but, as a lefty, I wonder if the side lid bail will be an issue for me.

Are there any Performer lefties out there that can chime in on this subject?

I'm a righty, but I modified my SSP to be a lefty because that's how it fits in my cookspace. No reason why you can't just cook from the other side.

MYXwfWRwX2cWqDifaVgh8MC2Mp5hLlLAuthc682xNodNNP4rECtZ_ksTxi7--hwBt9TSpt5r_8OvW8dKO5cX_4DxrhluCnrq9_1tEJVWGATYBt8mXYtj3iWDWI7dR07BLyFaMXhDJ3c=w800

I have been looking at purchasing a new kettle, and just realized the Performers are designed for Righties. I wish the wrap around where the tool hook mounts on the standard performer was the same on both sides.

I love the WPD and if I could have found the right deal I will have gone for it. But, I was able to find a great priced hardly used Master Touch. The kettle on the WPD and Master Touch are the same the differences I have found out through this forum are the table and the gas assist. Now I know you said you really like the idea of the gas assist so this may not be a realistic thought for you, but what about getting a Master Touch or other kettle of you choice and then purchasing a work table which you can then create a left handed set up. Here is an example of my set up. I love it. I have a tight work space so I break down the table every night and bring it back out of the small shed the next day. IMG_20200710_232620.jpg

I guess the other option would be seeing if I could install a lid hinge that opens straight back rather than pulling the lid off to the side.

I guess the other option would be seeing if I could install a lid hinge that opens straight back rather than pulling the lid off to the side.
If you used the "Unknown BBQ" hinge, I don't think there would be enough clearance to have it open straight back, but you could install in a way that opened away from you, but at an angle.

Back