Performer and Chimney

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rob_Fox

TVWBB Fan
Anyone else just load the chimney and sit it on top of the gas flame on the performer. I find it quicker to pour the coals where I want them then to move them around with my tongs.

I do that when I am lighting coals for the WSM.

99% of the time I use the charcoal baskets when cooking on the Performer.

That's my normal method, unless I'm setting up for an extended indirect cook. Then I'll use the baskets.

I've never thought to do that. Thanks for the tip.

Does it take longer to get them lit since the coals are further away from the fire than when sitting on the grate?

Seems like a great way to save propane as well if you are not in a hurry.

I don't think it takes any longer; I'm pretty chinsy on using the propane, I only run it long enough to get the bottom coals going and let them do the rest of the work.

I like the baskets too, I just never seem to get them centered just right over the flame and one basket is always a little cooler than just filling them with lit coals.

I always use the performer to light a chimney full.....as soon as the smoke starts I shut the gas off and let the chimney do it's thing....only 1-2 mins max of propane use
icon_wink.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ron "Rondo" hanson:
I always use the performer to light a chimney full.....as soon as the smoke starts I shut the gas off and let the chimney do it's thing....only 1-2 mins max of propane use
icon_wink.gif
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ditto. And yes I just pour them where I want them. I don't think I've used the baskets more than a few times.

Often use the Performer just to light coals for the WSM as well.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by r benash:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ron "Rondo" hanson:
icon_wink.gif
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ditto. And yes I just pour them where I want them. I don't think I've used the baskets more than a few times.

Often use the Performer just to light coals for the WSM as well. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

What he said
icon_wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back