Perfecting ribs

tmfast

TVWBB Super Fan
Hey all,
My post last week showed I did have baby backs, just big ones. I did not foil em, had em on a rib rack. Turned out better than all other smokes.
I would like to try spares again.
Any advise on a simple rub? Should I foil? What about spraying ribs with with apple juice as I have read about? What is the best wood to use. Should I use a rack, or lay em on the grills?
Come on guys! I gotta get good at this.

Tmfast-

Ribs take time to perfect. I find good results with temps at 235. I usually cook with out peaking for 3 hours then foil for 1.5-2 hours with apple juice or pineapple juice. Then I return to the pit for up to an hour. Check the tenderness with a toothpick between the bones it should feel like butter.
As for the rub there are several great commerical rubs I like texas bbq rub. Do you want to make your own or buy one?

Last weekend I used a rib rack on my spares. I put the whole uncut slab on the rib rack by bending the ends and tucking them into the neighboring slot. I was able to fit two slabs of ribs onto each rib rack this way. It's not the most efficient space-wise but if you are only smoking 2 to 4 racks, it works fine.

Rick's method works great and produces very tender and moist spares. I cooked mine for 3 hours, then foiled them for 1.5 hours. They were so tender after 1.5 hours in foil that I figured any longer and they would collapse upon themselves. But I was also cooking at a consistent 240 degrees.

I didn't use any juice and the spares turned out great. I did give them a good rub of Texas BBQ Rub beforehand which has some sugar in it. That gave the ribs a very dark, nearly black bark. They tasted a tad sweet which my wife loved.

Good luck,

Jake

Part of the enjoyment of queing ribs is
learning a little more about the process by experimenting and getting them "dialed in".
No rib rack for me, as I roll them. No foil either. For smokewood, I like a mixture of
hickory, pecan, and orange or grapefruit.
The amazingribs.com website can get you up to speed if you look at it. He has some interesting ideas, but is also trying to sell his as of yet unfinished book.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jake N.:
Last weekend I used a rib rack on my spares. I put the whole uncut slab on the rib rack by bending the ends and tucking them into the neighboring slot. I was able to fit two slabs of ribs onto each rib rack this way. It's not the most efficient space-wise but if you are only smoking 2 to 4 racks, it works fine.

Rick's method works great and produces very tender and moist spares. I cooked mine for 3 hours, then foiled them for 1.5 hours. They were so tender after 1.5 hours in foil that I figured any longer and they would collapse upon themselves. But I was also cooking at a consistent 240 degrees.

I didn't use any juice and the spares turned out great. I did give them a good rub of Texas BBQ Rub beforehand which has some sugar in it. That gave the ribs a very dark, nearly black bark. They tasted a tad sweet which my wife loved.

Good luck,

Jake </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Jake, try mixing the #1 and #2 rubs together. I use that for both ribs and Butts.

Back