Perfect Roasted Turkey...

Status
Not open for further replies.
As some of my outlaws...errr...I mean in-laws do not like smoked flavor of meat, I posted here for some ideas on not using wood in the WSM and to use it as a charcoal fired roaster.

I purchased a 15 lb already brined bird (Butterball like) and filled the cavity with celery, onion and an herbal bouquet of sage, thyme and rosemary. I trussed the bird using the method as shown on the Food Network.

I then buttered the bird quite liberally and sprinkled some leftover herbs outside with pultry seasoning and cracked pepper.

I filled the ring with Kingsford and a full chimney was lit. With a dry pan that was foiled I placed the turkey flat on the top grate and I ran the smoker at about 350 F at the top vent for the duration of the cook.

With some minor adjustments to the vents the smoker ran superbly and wonderfully for about 4 hours and then the thigh temperature as measured by my Taylor digital probe reached 180 F. I measured the breast temperature and it was at 170 F. I took off the turkey and let it rest for about 30 minutes.

The turkey was moist and tender and was absolutely perfect. Even though no smoking wood was used there was a slight grilled/smoked flavor that subtly added to the flavor of the bird.

I also cooked a breast in the oven. I had tons of that left, but the WSM roasted bird was wiped out. We will never cook a turkey again in the oven and the WSM turkey came out even better than the Brinkmann smoked turkeys I have cooked in the past.

Also the skin of the WSM bird was crisp and delicious! The kids were fighting over it! And even with the higher temps there was a lovely golden amber color and no burnt edges or dark coloring.

I was told by my quests that it was the best turkey they ever had. And beleive me if it was not good this crowd would let me know it.

Thanks to all of your suggestions and hints and for this site...there is no better on the Web.

Happy Holidays!

PrestonD

Sounds great! From my experience, turkey really sucks up the smoke so I do not use any wood chunks anymore for turkey....seems like the smoker itself give it enough bbq taste/smell that adding wood chunks seems to oversmoke the bird.

S.C. Que

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back