Pepper Jelly on Spares

Darrell J.

TVWBB Fan
In looking at some past posts it seems that many have ordered and like Pepper Jelly or make it on their own. Which one in your opinion goes best with spares? Also, some prefer the jelly over a finishing sauce, but I think it's a mental thing for me, because I have to at least serve sauce on the side. Will the jelly clash with the sauce?

..And Finally.
icon_smile.gif

When do you apply your jelly? Finishing glaze, foil with the 3-2-1 or what? Thanks for your cooking insight.

I just picked up some peach and pecan wood for next weekends cookout. First cookout of the year. Just have to find some lump up here somewhere in Maryland and I'll be good.

Hi Darrell
I make my own pepper jelly, all you need is a lemon with the exocarp (the yellow peel portion of the pericarp) removed and as much of the mesocarp (white pith) remaining, slice very thin and boil with water an sugar. Strain through muslin (squeeze if you don't mind it a bit cloudy, or don't strain if you want it crystal clear) add peppers and boil for an hour then add more sugar and let set.

I think the habanero was a bit hot for ribs. Might try jalepeno next time.

I glazed just before taking them of the grill to give it a sweet caramel glaze, sticky too.

hth

morgan

Darrell-- Humphrey makes a very good lump. I think they distribute into Maryland. Call them at (814) 849-2302 to find out. Don't bother emailing--takes weeks for them to get back to you.

I'm fond of hab jelly. I like the heat. I think it best used as a glaze--a thin one--and applied just before pulling, as Morgan suggests. If your jelly is very thick you can melt it over low heat to thin it, either as is or with a touch of butter.

Whether or not it would clash with the sauce depends on the sauce. I serve a vinegar dipping sauce on the side for ribs which would work well with a jelly glaze, the vinegar countering the sweetness and sticky texture a bit. That's what I'd shoot for rather than a thick sweet sauce; like everything else, it depends on what you like.

Darrell, where did you find Peach wood near Columbia? You can find lump at the BBQ Galore in Columbia I believe. If not, try the local hardware stores.

I had a friend grab some peach wood from out of state for me. I wish they had peach around here though. I haven't been to BBQ Galore, but I'd like to check it out for lump and cherry wood. I see on their website that they have oak as well, I'll have to give it a shot.

Which one in your opinion goes best with spares
I don't think you could go too wrong with any flavour ...

What kind of rub are you using? Maybe the TPJ fans can make a suggestion based on that.

Pepper Jelly is very compatable with your sauce - expecially if you make your own with the jelly. I mix pineapple habanero with commercial sauce (one not too sweet) to taste. To make your own, use 2 parts ketchup, 1 part jelly, to 1 part water or vinegar or combo to taste. To this base add worchestershire sauce, onion powder, whatever....

Loren

I usually make my own rub, but this time I bought some of the Texas Best rub #1 for the spares. I'm pretty sure the rub will be compatible with the jelly since I've seen that most people ordered both items by the boat load last year. I just ordered some Pineapple Habenero. Only problem is I went to a store out here in Maryland and got a huge bag of lump only to find out that it's Mesquite. I don't mind Mesquite, but not on my ribs. I've gotta head back and grab the Green Egg lump, which I believe is Oak. My sauce is a doctored up version that tastes quite similar to Head Country. I think I'll probably glaze once over the last 30 minutes or so with the Hab, and then take the ribs off, coat with my sauce and foil them in a styrofoam cooler for a bit. We'll see how it goes. God, I'm getting hungry. The wife makes these incredible drop biscuits with sour cream to go with them, simply mouth watering.

I love ribs with pineapple habernero, and with cherry jalapeno, and of course we all know that pork loves apples, so the apple jalapeno or hab (can't recall which) is a real winner on ribs.

I take the lid off the jar and zap it in the microwave for a few seconds to thin it out, then paint it on the ribs about 5 mins or so before they come off the rotisserie.

Good stuff!

I've used many a jar of pepper jelly on my que, but this weekend was the first time I used it straight. I didn't care for it. I love it in sauce - makes a great glazing sauce for ribs and chicken. But, painted straight on chicken this weekend, I just didn't care for it. That's yust me.

Loren

Back