Pellets vs. smoke wood

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brian Hawkins

Hey guys, how's it going?

I've neglected my WSM for far too long now and it's time to get her back into the habit of smoking. I plan to smoke a butterflied chicken on Tuesday evening using some orange pellets, but do they impart as much flavor as good old wood chunks?

I have never tried orange but here is what the BBQ FAQ says about orange wood

ORANGE, LEMON and GRAPEFRUIT - Produces a nice mild smoky flavor. Excellent with beef, pork, fish and poultry.

You may want to come up with a rub that would complements the wood.
Jim

I used orange+pellets for the first time this thanksgiving.They where bbq delights that I found at Wally's world.Everyone said they really liked the flavor.I like the fact of no guess work with the pellets 1/3C and you are good to go.
icon_biggrin.gif

I did the apple honey brined turkey from the poultry recipe forum posted by Keri C for Thanksgiving. I used the orange pellets and it was by far the best turkey this boy has ever eaten. Really liked the sweet mellow smoke flavor that the orange pellts imparted on the bird.
icon_biggrin.gif
Bryan

Sorry for the late response guys.

I smoked two unbrined butterflied chickens last night using orange pellets and while the skin was excellent, I couldn't really taste any smoke flavoring in the meat. Could it have anything to do with the age of the pellets? I bought them about a year and a half ago at the local BBQ Galore before it closed down.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back