Pellets for large cuts of Meat

I definitely think so. For whatever reason, when I do pellets, I don't notice a very strong flavor. I would plan on about 3 packets. Just don't throw them in simultaneously. Throw one in at the beginning. take it out after about 2 hours (it will be spent). then throw in another one. Then do the same in another 2 hours or so.

But, that's just crazy me talking. I don't cook much with pellets, so others here will have much better points of reference.

- Adam

If you go with 1/3 c and just a single tiny hole in the packet you'll usually get 20-30 min of smoke, so yes, use more packets and start with 2-3 on top (for a MM cook) and bury 1 or 2.

Like crazy Adam (you opened that door, bud), I don't use them often but have on a few occasions.

Well call me crazy too! Other than the fact I use a 1/2 cup or so of pellets in my packets, I do it the exact same way as Adam.

Kevin, I figured that all that foil from 4-6 pellet packets placed in my ring might cause some sort of heat or airflow restriction so I never tried it. Guess I was wrong, thanks for the tip.

I've been using the pellets more on my kettle cooks than anything else. After the intial sear (if needed) I'll move the meats to an indirect cooking area of the grill, add a packet of pellets, and put the lid on. It really seems to add a nice touch to the final product.

Now if you want to talk some real pellet consumption, ask me about my FEC100.
icon_eek.gif

Rick

How's it going with the FEC? Are you enjoying it? PITA?

I think that if you were to several spread packets over the top it might be possible to end up with less optimal airflow. With just one or two on top and the other(s) buried I haven't had a problem.

Rick, YOU"VE GOT AN FEC!)). I'm really getting pellet envy now!!! When do you decide to use the WSM alone and the Fast Eddy?? Been looking at the Traegers(Smith & Wesson). Can't justify the price yet.<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Rick Kramer:
Well call me crazy too! Other than the fact I use a 1/2 cup or so of pellets in my packets, I do it the exact same way as Adam.

Kevin, I figured that all that foil from 4-6 pellet packets placed in my ring might cause some sort of heat or airflow restriction so I never tried it. Guess I was wrong, thanks for the tip.

I've been using the pellets more on my kettle cooks than anything else. After the intial sear (if needed) I'll move the meats to an indirect cooking area of the grill, add a packet of pellets, and put the lid on. It really seems to add a nice touch to the final product.

icon_eek.gif

Rick </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by paul h:
Rick, YOU"VE GOT AN FEC!!. I'm really getting pellet envy now!!! When do you decide to use the WSM alone and the Fast Eddy?? Been looking at the Traegers(Smith & Wesson). Can't justify the price yet.<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Rick Kramer:

icon_eek.gif

Rick </div></BLOCKQUOTE> </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by paul h:
Rick, YOU"VE GOT AN FEC!!. I'm really getting pellet envy now!!! When do you decide to use the WSM alone and/or the Fast Eddy?? Been looking at the Traegers(Smith & Wesson). Can't justify the price yet.<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Rick Kramer:

icon_eek.gif

Rick </div></BLOCKQUOTE> </div></BLOCKQUOTE> </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

PITA? Sorta yeah, sorta no. Yeah because I just couldn't grasp how it works. Had I'd read more archives at their site I would've been better prepared. The best way to describe it is that it works on a average cooker temp and not an exact temp. In other words the cooker temps pulse or fluctuate from very high to a somewhat lower temp than what you have your controller or dial set on. Say I have it set at 250* it'll get as hot as 320* and as low as 235* with an average temp of 265* or so. While it works, it's not what I'm accustomed to. I cooked two butts and a brisket the other night per Fast Eddys (the creator) instructions and the girls said it was some of the best I've made to date ... on any cooker. Go figure. It just takes some getting used to. With that said, they are supposedly coming out with a different controller on the newer model FECs. One that holds a more exact temp and doesn't run on averages. If it can be retrofitted I'm sure I'll get it.
No because it really is a set it and forget it type cooker. I've cooked in all kinds of conditions and this thing just chugs away with no help from me. I just sit back and watch. So with the cooking capacity (16 butts or 40 slabs of St.Louis style ribs) and the ease of operation, it's going to work out great for big events or large overnighters. There's more but this is a WSM site so I'll give y'all a break.

Hi Paul. Dang son did ya get a little excited there?
icon_biggrin.gif

Rick

Rick,Quick note. Signed up to judge four contests this summer. Don't know if they'll take me. Email me and I'll let you know which ones. I'm really looking forward to them

I usually use 6 chunks of wood on larger cuts. If I am using pellets I substitute a pack of pellets for a chunk of wood. I love the jack daniels pellets. I use at least one pack on almost every cook.

Very seldom do I use all the same thing on a cook. I like the range of flavors of using several types of wood.

Rick - I was looking at an FEC 750 for a while for a commercial endeavor. but I eventually shied away from it - mainly because how many pounds of pellets the guy burned through each time.

Back