Pellets & Brisket HELP

Joe McManus

TVWBB All-Star
Just got my pellets from Candy. Smokin Brisket tonite. Are 3 JD sample pack enough for my all nite smoke or should I add some nice oak I have?

Joe, your three packets are enough for a brisket cook. Usually Candy suggests making a foil packet out of each sample pack, burying two in the unlit charcoal in the charcoal ring for smoke later in the cook, and laying one on top of the unlit charcoal for immediate smoke. When she won her 1st in brisket at Lebanon in the WSM, that's the way she did it.

Keri C, smokin' on Tulsa Time

Thanks Keri,
Sorry for the late response. My home PC is on the fritz, and I'm trying to repair.

Couple observations about this brisket cook.

Was a good cook, not great, but good. Used 3 packs or Jack Daniels pellets. Buried 2 and place one on top after I lit the basket. Used lump (Cowboy brand). Filled the charcoal basket til it was literally overflowing. Made it through the night OK, but was really challenged to keep steady temps throughout the day. 14 hour smoke for a 13 lb packer.

Smoke ring was very small. No overpowering smoke flavor, almost devoid I might say. I think the two buried packets may have gone off prematurely.

Another curiosity: the top of the flat (non fat side) was tough, very tough, almost like there was a membrane or a line of gristle or something there. Below the smoke ring, it was nice and tender. Haven't had this before, any comments? Brisket was previously frozen (i've only done fresh before). Was a choice cut of meat. I cooked this brisket's twin about 6 weeks ago, had no noticable tenderness issue on the top. That one was fresh, not frozen.

Flat temps averaged 183 - 185 when I pulled, foiled, and rested. Rested a good 3 hours before slicing. Was a little difficult to slice too (again this top toughness).

Guests loved it. Flavor was great, I was pleased w/ my injection marinade proportions. No one understood my trouble with that toughness on the top, everyone said I was being too critical. I know judges at a comp would have drilled my tenderness scores because of it though. Comments?

Sounds like you did have some high pit temps, any idea high the temps could have gotten?
You could be right about getting all the lump and pellets going.

The lack smokering was from high pit temps more than likely.
Jim

After about 4 hours of cooking, there was a spike where dome temp hit about 300-310. Suppose that was enough to light off the pellet bags. When I checked, all pellet packs were spent. Water bowl never got below 1/2 full though. Took about a 1/2 hour then to reign in the temp to 250 or so in the dome. After that the trouble was keeping temps up. They'd go to 250 or 275 and then fall to 200 to 210. I've been bashed for using Cowboy in the past, and I'll try something else, however, this time around, thats the only Charcoal I had (poor planning on my part). Honestly, my best cooks so far have been w/ good ol' Kingsford.

Could the excessive temps also caused over cooking on the surface resulting in the toughness (i.e. turning it to "jerky")? That's what bothered me more than the small smoke ring.

Jim - BTW I used apple juice and FAB-B, with a little more liquid than the suggested ratio. Very pleased with the flavor and texture of the meat below that trouble spot.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Joe McManus:
Could the excessive temps also caused over cooking on the surface resulting in the toughness (i.e. turning it to "jerky")? That's what bothered me more than the small smoke ring. . <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Absolutely. The higher temps might have caused the meat's structure to change (likely, imo) rendering it unable to retain moisture very well while the cook continued nor during the rest.

The layer of jerky texture is a direct result of the heat spikes, you did get the lump burning hot and the pellets added even more heat during the spike.
I still use Kingsford for long cooks because it won't spike like lump can.
Try the same cook again with Kingsford and see if you don't get much different results.
Jim

Joe,

Just out of curiosity, did your rub have a lot of sugar in it or did you lay it on heavy.

There was someome else here recently that was commenting about the lack of crust on his brisket and the consensus was that there was probably not enough sugar in the rub.

Maybe you had just the opposite.

Al

Will certainly try again using Kingsford. Wasted pellets this time, what a shame.

As for my rub, it is almost devoid of sugar. Never had any issues with getting a bark layer to develop either. Mostly salt and pepper.

I saw a couple of cases of the apple pellets on seasonal close-out for half price at a local Wal-Mart last week. Might be worth a look-- it was out in the outdoor garden section at mine.

Back