Pecan wood seasoning

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Just acquired some green pecan limbs from a neighbor that had her tree removed. Can anyone tell me how long to keep it before I can use it for smoking?

It needs to be "seasoned" so keep it for a season /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif . I really don't know exactly how long, but I do believe it is better if allowed to dry. Leave it outside, but covered. Allow at least one end to be exposed to the air. You can usually tell when it is dry versus green.

If you don't like this advise, wait a few moments and I'm sure someone will have a different opinion.

PRG

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by David Gross:
[qb] Just acquired some green pecan limbs from a neighbor that had her tree removed. Can anyone tell me how long to keep it before I can use it for smoking? [/qb] <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>I started a similar thread a few weeks ago http://tvwbb.101inc.com/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=4;t=002626 . The consensus is to keep the fresh wood for four seasons (one year) to completely dry out. Splitting the logs also speeds the drying process.

I always cut up my wood into chunks--better control of where I place them in the WSM. From experience, if you cut them up into 3 inch lengths, 6 months will be more than enough time to season the wood.

Dale

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back