Pecan Nut Smoke

Steve Petrone

TVWBB Platinum Member
Whole pecans make the most wonderful smoke for grilling. Burgers. Chicken. You name it. Whole pecan nuts bring delicious flavor to your kettle.
5 or 6 nuts will do the trick. Just toss em on the coals before grilling.
The smoke is intoxicating.

My Dad turned me on to that years ago. I thought he was crazy until I tried it. We got pecan hulls left over from where we had our pecans shelled. Works as well as pecan wood and it's more easily and readily renewable! Our trees produce good crops about every other year and our friend in LA (Lower Alabama) has a good crop just about every year. We have only a couple trees but our friend has a pretty good sized orchard.

Pat

I can't buy pecan chunks or chips around here unless I want to pay a ridicules price. I can buy pecans though. Thanks for the tip.

I just tried this with a tri tip last night. The smell coming from the grill was awesome. Unfortunately, I used a farily heavy seasoning, so the smoke didn't come through. But I'm looking forward to trying it again.

Steve, Thanks for the passing this info on. I have been wanting to smoke a Butt on my mini-WSM, but I have been afraid of over doing the smoke flavor. I think this is the perfect solution to that problem. Kinda one of those duh huh, so simple, solutions!
Thanks again, Tim

Guys, I have not used the nuts for a long slow cook...I can't see why not though.

I will repeat...the smell coming off the grill is incredible.

Try smoking some pecans with the shells that you have just removed them from. They are very good.

Back