peach wood?

Arthur Squires

TVWBB Member
Has anyone used peach tree wood in the smoker before? Is it even safe? It seems to be a really tight banded and therefore hard wood, but I thought before I comitted to it I would ask you guys and gals.
Thanks

Arthur

Oh yeah, definitely used some peach and nectarine wood from my own trees. It's a lighter smoke (kinda like apple or alder).

Phil D.,
Thanks for the help. that is good news! My nieghbor just trimmed a peach tree and he was nice enough to lay some of it on me. I will set some of it out to cure and have some Peach wood come spring.
Thanks a ton,

Arthur

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Arthur Squires:
Phil D.,
Thanks for the help. that is good news! My nieghbor just trimmed a peach tree and he was nice enough to lay some of it on me. I will set some of it out to cure and have some Peach wood come spring.
Thanks a ton,
Arthur </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Arthur, If you can eat the fruit or nuts from the tree then the wood is fine to use.
icon_wink.gif

Arthur, ask your friend if the peach tree has ever been sprayed with pesticide. If so you should probably remove the bark for safety's sake.

A friend of mine gave me some apple, and I received the same warning from Members here. BTW, it had been sprayed.

Virgil

Virgil,
Thanks for the heads up. They have sprayed alot around here because of teh west nile and teh jap. beetles over the last couple of years. I was planning on removing the bark anyways in hopes that it would speed up the curing time.

Thanks again

Arthur

Back