Pastrami advise

tmfast

TVWBB Super Fan
Hello all,
I was reading Rick Angiels post about pastrami, checked out the cooking tips. Man, does that sound good (thanks Rick). It's to late to go out and get a flat tonight, but was considering picking one up tomorro after work & get it curing for Sunday. Would this be a late start? How would you serve it? Iv'e only had pastami sandwiches.
Of course, I will have my food saver by then.

Yes - The pastrami is fantastic. My brother-in-law has said its the best he's had in quite a while. He's from NYC and says it is every bit as good as what the delis "back home" have. Starting a flat curing tonight should be no problem. The instructions on this site say to cure the flat for three days. I usually look to cure around 3-1/2 or so days. So, starting it on Wednesday and cooking on Sunday is what I would normally do.

Most of the ingredients are easily found. I had the hardest time finding the Morton TenderQuick. If you have a Super Target somewhere close, check there. That is the only local store I have found it in so far.

Whoops, forgot one thing...

As far as serving, I have generally made sandwiches. But I would think sliced thin on a plate with some simple mashed or boiled potatoes, and some veggies would be a nice meal.

Damn it,
I am not going to make it for a weekend pastrami smoke. I could not find all the curing products on the way home from work, mainly tender quick, so I missed my window this week. This will NOT happen next week.
Just wondering, can you over cure brisket? I was thinking about curing from Tuesday for Sunday, just to make sure it is ready.

My experience has been, with choice flats averaging 5-6 pounds, that starting a cure Thursday evening for a cook starting around noon Sunday is sufficient. On rare occasions, I have had a small sliver of uncured meat in the middle, under the spot where a thin residual layer of point meat remains intact. It's not a big deal, however, you may want to start things off late Wednesday to insure a complete cure. No, I don't think you will have a problem with overcuring, if there is even such a possibility.

A possible short cut is starting with a "corned beef brisket" either point (my preference) or flat. Soak it for several hours in several changes of water to leach out the corning salt, run it and smoke it.

Not as good as doing it without shortcuts, but real good anyway.

Thanks Rich,
I was thinking about that, but no. I will get what I need to do it from scatch with plenty of time to cure.

Back