Pan-less and grease

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

I'm considering going pan-less on my next rib cook (20 half-slabs using Char-Broil rib racks). Aiming for a higher temp cook (275 - 300) for 5 hrs, switching bottom and top racks halfway through. I was wondering if the ribs would drip more grease than the coals to burn off, and I would end up with a pool of grease at the bottom of the cooker.

Any thoughts?

Nathan, I was wondering why you would want to remove the pan. I can get 300 degrees easily with a full ring and a dry pan in place.

Just curious,
Jim

I decided to go with a dry pan. Lined the pan with foil and then put another layer down that doesn't touch the bottom but is slightly elevated. That way hopefully the grease won't touch the hotter pan surface and burn.

I don't think there would be a problem of a grease fire if there aren't any flames coming up to the pan. Running stable at 250 with all 3 vents fully open.

I initially was thinking to go pan-less to get that extra smoke from drippings hitting the coals but was worried that 10 slabs of ribs might make too much grease.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back