Packing the WSM in a U-Haul?

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Kevin and I are moving to Newbury Park (700 miles south of Eureka) June 1st and I'm just wondering, what's the best way to pack the WSM in the U-Haul? I read a thread on the competition forum about transporting it to contests, but nothing specifically related to putting it in a U-Haul. Any suggestions?

We'll be living a couple miles from Dad's house (Roger Cole of the Pork Belly Bandits), so expect to become more active in the BBQ circuit - judging, maybe even competing one day. /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Kelly

I'd load it fully assembled, bungee'd through the top handle and under the bottom AND well wrapped with a moving blanket. Make sure there's no charcoal waste in it, too! I did this to my friend's kettle and it worked like a charm. Oh...and Load It Last, so that it'll be first off when unloading.

Hope this helps!

Mark

Thank you, Mark - it does help. /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif I'm really anxious to get moved and christian the new place with the smell of Q. /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Kelly

I personally load mine in sections into the van I use when competing. The biggest problemn these guys have are the aluminum legs. They bend TOO easily. If you keep it upright and it starts to wiggle around, those things will bend. Fortunately they can be bent back, but still.

Also be sure to take the pan out..especially if it is filled with sand!

Once I have it in its 3 sections, I add stuff inside to stabilize it. IN the bottom goes all my smoke wood and gloves and anything else that will fit. Inside the center section goes the bag of charcoal and and anything else I can fit. The hood just gets stored wherever it fits, but I always have something underneath the dome.

Finally, I pack lots of stuff around the middle section to further stabilize.

Good luck on the move!

Hmmm, I hadn't thought about the legs bending, Stogie. Maybe she'll just have to be one of the items that goes in the car, not the U-Haul. We have a station wagon, which is the car I'll be driving. Sounds like it might be a good idea to put the WSM in with me. I'll also have three cats, two hamsters, and our computer... should be a fun trip. /infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

Thanks for the well wishes... this is a very exciting move -- the start of a new and exciting chapter in our lives!

Kelly

Kelly,
If you want to put it in a car, put the middle section in a large trash bag. The bottom section, lid, grates, water pan, and fire ring will all stack nicely into a large plastic trash can. Bungee the lid on and you can move the pit without getting your car dirty.
(Make sure there is no water in the pan.)

Be careful about the little metal tabs on the vents, those bend real easy too. Granted, they'll bend right back, but do that a few times and you'll be "tabless".

Put it in passenger seat next to driver and strap in with seat belt. Jam cats into WSM for stability. You could check on em through side door.

Put wife or husband in U-Haul or roof rack.

Enjoy 700 mile trip in peace.

Brock, you made me spew my coffee!! Too funny. Husband will be driving the U-Haul and if it's air conditioned, he gets the cats. *evil grin*

Kelly

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back