Packaging pre trimmed meat for a competition.

Rich Paq

TVWBB Member
Another question I have is what are the ways to package pre trimmed meat to a competition. I know that some use food saver vacums, but what if you dont have one. Can you just put the meat in a large Glad bag with the original packaging?? What are some do's and don'ts regarding this.?? Also how much meat do you guys place into coolers?? Or maybe how many coolers and how much ice do you bring to a comp???

I'm interested in hearing what others do. According to the KCBS rules (check your local comp society if not
7) All competition meats shall be inspected by the Official
Meat Inspector during the times established by the contest
organizer but not prior to the day before judging. Once the
competition meat has been inspected, it shall not leave the
contest site. Cooking shall not begin until the competition
meat has been inspected by the Official Meat Inspector. All
competition meat shall start out raw. No pre-seasoned meat
is allowed other than manufacturer enhanced or injected
products, as shown on label EXCLUDING but not limited to:
teriyaki, lemon pepper or butter injected. When the contest
organizer supplies the meat, the contestant is not required
to enter only that meat. Competition meat not meeting
these qualifications shall be disqualified; given a one (1) in all
criteria by all six judges.

What I read on that is it doesn't need to be vacuum packed. I know some teams trim before coming to a competition and I know that its fairly easy to tell if meat has been altered but I still don't know how you prove it's not altered if its not in the original packaging.

I'd just throw it in some large freezer bags and make sure it is iced down and stays iced down. I've seen a team have to buy chicken again because they just bought it on the way to the comp and didn't put it in the cooler.

We trim at home then put in a 2 gal. zip lock bag. We always keep the original packaging to show it is inspected meat. No problem yet.

We trim at home then put in a 2 gal. zip lock bag. We always keep the original packaging to show it is inspected meat. No problem yet.

Do you trim all of your meat or just some?

I'd love to get my chicken and ribs trimmed before comp. I will definitely do this for one of the comps this summer.

I have trimmed at home and just used gallon zip locks. Chicken is the most time consuming so I always try to do it at home. I also keep the original label and throw it in the zip lock. I know in FBA they can ask for it, KCBS does not. However, I'd rather have it and not need it.

Being under ice and not being in marinade are the 2 key things the inspectors are looking for.

What I read on that is it doesn't need to be vacuum packed. I know some teams trim before coming to a competition and I know that its fairly easy to tell if meat has been altered but I still don't know how you prove it's not altered if its not in the original packaging.

You don't have to prove that it's not "altered." There's nothing in the KCBS rules that states anything about "altering" meat. As you pointed out, the rules specifically say that COOKING shall not begin until the competition meat has been inspected; competition meat shall start out RAW; no PRE-SEASONED meat. So as long as you don't cook or season meat, you can pre-trim it. I always prep chicken at home since it's much easier than at the competition site. I put the prepped chicken (deboned, trimmed, de-fatted skin) in ziploc bags with the original packaging, and am also sure to have a copy of the rules on hand in case an inspector doesn't understand them. Never had an issue.

I try to get chicken done a day or so before the comp as it takes forever to get all of them done. I put them in a zip-lock bag along with the original package label(s) so it is very easy to see the labels.

Ribs are easy. I can prep those in less than an hour.

Pork butt can take quite a while if I'm going after specific items in the butt. So if it's just a general trim for pulled pork, then I'll do it there. Otherwise I do it at home.

Brisket is simple. It's almost as fast as ribs.

I also keep the original store receipts showing that I purchased the meat from XYZ supermarket on xx/xx/xx date. Then I can absolutely track the pedigree of the meat. I've never been asked for it, yet, but I have heard of a team being asked about it. Better to have too much documentation than too little.

Russ

I try to get chicken done a day or so before the comp as it takes forever to get all of them done. I put them in a zip-lock bag along with the original package label(s) so it is very easy to see the labels.

Ribs are easy. I can prep those in less than an hour.

Pork butt can take quite a while if I'm going after specific items in the butt. So if it's just a general trim for pulled pork, then I'll do it there. Otherwise I do it at home.

Brisket is simple. It's almost as fast as ribs.

I also keep the original store receipts showing that I purchased the meat from XYZ supermarket on xx/xx/xx date. Then I can absolutely track the pedigree of the meat. I've never been asked for it, yet, but I have heard of a team being asked about it. Better to have too much documentation than too little.

Russ

+1 but i have had inspectors tell me to have it vacpac'd "next time"

I trim chicken at home and vacu seal with the original label in the sealed up package. I then freeze the chicken and move it into a cooler when I leave on Friday for the comp. Never had a problem, and the inspectors usually like to see the chicken in the vacu seal package without asking too many questions.

Back