Oversmoked/Undersmoked-How much wood?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pat Trammell

TVWBB Fan
This weekend, I smoked fourteen chicken quarters for four hours at 235*. They came out fine, very moist and tender, however had an almost overpowering smoke flavor. I used four half fist sized chunks of hickory. Conversely, on my last butt, I used about four whole fist sized chunks and got very little smoke flavor. Could any of the veterans out there give me some sort of guidelines to follow? It is an inexact science I know, but any input would be appreciated. Thanks!

Ain't no pro, but figure a couple a things. Hickorys might powerful wood flavor for them little chicken quarter and a butts a lot thicker so it can take mor wood smokin.

Good Q'n to ya!!!

I bought a bulk pack (Costco) of boneless, skinless chicken breasts containing 12 pieces, 4.3 oz to 9.9 oz each AFTER removing the tenders, which weighed about 1 pound total. You just can't get uniform weights in cuts of chicken unless you cut up 3 1/2- to 4-pound whole chickens yourself.

I used 2 small apple chunks (5.0 oz total) + 1 small hickory chunk (2.0 oz) and an average temp of 260?F. They were done in an hour and the chicken breasts were moist, but much too smoky.

The next time I'll cut the amount of wood in half to see where I'm at, and might have to reduce the amount of wood even more.

Can someone comment on whether or not fattier meats absorb less smoke? Since "fat is flavor," I would have expected the opposite. Or does the fat (and accompanying smoke flavor) drain off? Or does the amount of fat have anything to do with it?

Given that chicken is pretty bland, maybe the smoke flavor just stands out more?

Rita

I think chicken and turkey both absorb smoke much more than a butt ever will. Matter of fact, I no longer apply any smoke to my chickens...even when competing...as the natural flavor of the charcoal seems to be enough....especially if you use hardwood lump.

I think Rookie has it correct......chicken, small and skinny.......pork butt, big and fat. Hickory is a little stronger than other woods so that played a role as well.

Rita.......not sure if fattier cuts of meat absorb more or less...I think it has more to do with the "texture" of the meat fibers in each cut of meat. Chicken maybe a little "looser" structure, thus allowing more smoke penetration??? Not sure, pure conjecture.

I think the important thing in this whole discussion is the fact that different meats DO absorb smoke differently. So, plan on that.

I agree poultry is a delicate flavor and strong smoke does overpower it. We are using small amounts of cherry or apple on poultry where we would use hickory, pecan on pork and oak on beef.
I will say that in Memphis for MIM we did real well with cherry on Butt.
Go easy with wood until you find the right amount of smoke, it's always easier to add more on the next cook if you want.
Jim

Thanks for the input guys. I think you are right, it is better to start with minimal wood and work up. Unfortunately, as my wife will tell you, I try and open jars with a sledgehammer sometimes. Not good for the fine arts like barbeque. Again, I appreciate the input and happy cooking!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back