Overnighter In Progress...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruce Bissonnette

TVWBB Guru
4 pork butts, total weight, just over 28lbs. On the WSM at 8:30pm, Minion Method (of course), sand in the pan.

Two butts mustard rubbed then sprinkled with Dizzy Pig Dizzy Dust, the other two; one rubbed with Dixie Dust the other Texas Rib Ranger Spicey Seasoning.

Three chunks of Pecan and three chunks of Sugar Maple. At 10:30pm WSM humming along 228 at the top grate.

Currently temp is 58*, wind is SE at 6mph, 30% chance of showers overnight (who cares).

Captain Morgan and Diet Coke in a tall glass.

Sorry for the length, I like play by play on overnighters. I'll be around most of the night if anyone wants to chat. Talk to you soon.

Mmmmm... it's gonna be smelling good around there here pretty soon!

Let's see - on at 8:30, you're a hour ahead of us, 958 miles... yeah, if I hop in the ragtop and hit the road now, I might make it just about in time for a late lunch.

Got Blues Hog? /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Keri C, still smokin on Tulsa Time

Keri,

As a matter of fact I do! According to my wife..."What rub doesn't he have?"

I have used it in the past along with the sauce and really enjoy it. Rewarming the butts on Monday along with cooking 6 slabs of baby backs.

Gonna be goooooood!

Didja know Bill got the Blues Hog Cafe opened up here in just the last week or so? I think that's going to deserve a road trip to Perry, MO sometime this summer.

Keri,

You know I seen someone post a congratulations to him on the BBQForum for opening his restaraunt and I was happy for him. I would love to come down there sometime and make the swing through all the great BBQ venues.

Up here we just got our first Famous Dave's and a Smokey Bones. Dave's wasn't bad haven't been to "Bones" yet. BBQ is a little scarce up here unless you do it yourself.

I have 2 butts going up here in Flint, MI. Using the Minion method for the first time. After 2 hours my dome temp was only 225 with vents wide open. I like it at 250 or so generally. I freaked a bit and added 15 more coals and at the 3.5 hour mark the temp went to 275. I closed down the vents to 20% and it is now at 250, right where I want it. Does it generally take 3-4 hours for the temp to stabilize like that with MM?

Cleatus

Bruce, you almost had me as a late night companion, but since I did some spares up into early evening I decided to do an overnighter tomorrow. Good luck.

Good morning all, I was doing fine until about 1:15am. The WSM was hummin' along and then the old Cap'n kicked in and it was time for some sleep.

Temp checks: 3am 239
5:10a 234
6:20a 228
7:40a 224, Meat temp in largest butt 173. Spritzed with Apple juice.

Smellin' good on my patio. COFFEE!!!!!

I've been reading the post, I got up at 5:30. The WSM is still chugging after, let see, alot of hours. I started three full racks of spares then added brats yesterday about noon. When all was done I added about 20-30 charcoal and put on a 14lb. brisket at about 7:00. Getting ready to make some good ole coffee and thinking about grabbing a cold spare. Bruce Capt'n Morgan and diet Coke are one of my fav's however I opted for Gin and Tonic yesterday. Enjoy the fruits of you labor and have a fun and safe Memorial Day.

Chach

Good Morning Bruce,
I,m over in Rochester Hills and in the process of smokin 2 butts myself. The went on at 2am. Their boneless, so I don't expect that they will take as long as yours.

Where at in Utica are you located? I'm at M59 & Rochester Rd, right by the now defunt Golf course.

Maybe those were your shoulder I was smellin!

Tom

5:05pm

Sorry for the delay in updating the cook. I had to go shopping with you know who for awhile. Anyways...

I lit 3/4 of a chimney and added it at 10:30am, I was starting to lose temp slowly and upon checking the charcoal chamber it was nearly spent. Not bad though a solid 14 hours.

My temps quickly rebounded.

At 12:15pm I checked the temps in the two smaller butts and they were at 195, my target was 197. I decided to pull these off, double wrap in foil and place in cooler covered with a blanket. At 12:35pm I removed the other butt and followed the same procedure, it had hit 197. The last butt, and the largest, just wouldn't give it up. It was 190 in some spots and 178 in others. I could tell when I inserted the therm that some spots it went in like butter and others it needed some push. I pulled it and wrapped it anyways.

It jsut so happens some of the bark and meat came off during the wrapping....ooops. It was really good, gave a couple of bites to wife and daughter they thought it was excellent.

I'm just getting ready to pull these butts and place the meat in half-sheet pans and store in the fridge til Monday.

Thanks to all who read the post. It was a great cook and again the WSM did not let me down. A solid smoker, I don't care what anyone says.

Oh, and Tom P., I am 1/2 mile north of M59 and East off of Van Dyke. We're almost neighbors.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back