Overnight Q done too soon!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike Force

Okay all you pros, why did my overnight finish up so soon? I put a 12+ pound brisket on about 10:30 pm last night, and it's 10 am the next morning and it's done already!

Last time it took a full 15 hours. The only difference I can see is that it is warmer here (Seattle area) than it was the last time I did an overnight (about 65 all night vs. mid 50's last time), and I couldn't get the smoker to stay below 245 even with all the vents closed all night. Last time I had to play with them constantly and the avg temp was around 220 to 230F! I'm using Kingsford brickets and the Minion method, same as last time. Doing it exactly the way the "overnight brisket cook" method described in the cooking section of this very site tells me to! The only thing I can figure is because the temp was an average 25 degrees higher this time, it got done that much faster. Wierd!

Anyway, the internal is at 185 so I'm pulling it off and foiling it, then pack it in the cooler with a newspaper bed to keep hot until this afternoon.

Just thought I'd ramble and fish for feedback...could it be the brickets are "hotter", like today's baseballs and golf balls are juiced?

No matter, it's gonna be damn good! Cowpoke beans and COTC fresh off the stalk to go with it. It's just done too darn soon!

My first guess would be some kind of a leak causing the fire to burn hotter. The only other guess would be maybe you "had to play with them constantly" more last time than this time? Which might have caused the last cook to drag out.

That's what makes this so fun. It's not an exact science no matter how hard we try to make it one.

15-25* hotter cooker temp is probably the simplest and most likely answer. I'd stick my probe thermometer into the brisket and run the wire out under the lid, if possible-- or snake it thru the drain if it has one, so I could monitor the temp. If it stays above 140* until within an hour of serving time, you'll be fine.

Mark, how funny, I did the same thing overnight too. I have a 10lb brisket, started it at 11pm last night and figured it to be done around 1pm or 2pm today...try 10:30am!!!!!

I didn't have the temp problems you did...it just finished early. I packed it in a cooler with warm towels out of the dryer and there it sits! I will throw it back in the oven an hour before I go to the party to bring it back up to temp!

Good luck and good eats to ya!!

Thanks, I'll check for leaks...

On another note, I used my new ET73 for this session and I've got a question: The directions don't say anything about the little "radar" icon, like whether it's supposed to flash or stay on constantly if you're within range, or whatever. Anybody know?

And mine seems to lose the signal fairly easily. I might have gotten one of those bad ones I heard about...guess I'll have a discussion with Redi Chek...

Mike,

The little radar icon flashes when the units transmits a temp change. There is no feedback mechanism for the transmitter to "know" when the receiver is within range.

As to losing the signal, if you can get 80-100 foot of unobstructed line of sight connectivity (with fresh batteries), it's working as designed. As it passes through walls and windows signal strength diminishes and you will start to find "dead spots".

The defective ones generally couldn't even transmit 15-20 ft without losing the signal.

Mike,

Some briskets just cook faster than others; my personal experience has been that 15-20 degrees in temperature shouldn't shorten your cooking time by more than an hour or so.

I've cooked spare ribs at 250 degrees that took 9 hours to get tender, and I've had them take as little as 5-6 hours. The best brisket I ever cooked was a 5-lb. choice flat which took 12 hours to finish; I've had full 12-13 lb. packers finish in the same time.

You'll never know for sure, but I'd still say that it was just the way that particular brisket had to cook.

Happy Eating,

Rick

Thanks everyone...good feedback! I tried the line of sight test and it works fine. Guess I'm finding those "dead spots"! And thanks for the icon lesson, too.

Happy eating? Are you kidding? My mouth is watering so much my pants are all wet!!! Four hours until the crowd gets here...I don't know if there's gonna be any left!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back