Overnight critters

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

I've read of overnight cooks where you'd leave your WSM smoking while you sleep. Practical idea for butts or briskets I think, but what about racoons or other critters who might be interested by the smell and come and topple the smokker over. How do you keep that from happening?

I've done a good number of overnight cooks and my WSM is under a carport. However, I live on and own several hundred acres of woods and am thus surrounded by critters. I have never had a problem and I think the reason is the heat from the WSM. My trusty dog seems to also keep his distance. I guess if there's anything big and bad enough in the woods to come up and push over that hot WSM, he/she can have it.

Paul

Just a theory, but my guess is that even if something does come around, the radiant heat would keep them far enough away. Either that or any initial contact with the smoker would be with the critter's nose (since most mammals use their noses more than anything when checking out something new) and the heat of the smoker would definately turn them away.

I live out on 20 acres where the raccoons, possums and coyotes roam, with no problems with overniters. WSM is on the patio with the patio light usually on, they don't come near.

Deer are another issue, I don't even bother with a garden anymore. /infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back