Overnight cook

K_Jordan

TVWBB Fan
I am planning my first overnight cook for this evening. I live in a rural area in upstate NY. I plan to get the butt started and then go to bed and sleep fo about 5-6 hours. How likely is it that raccoons will feast on my butt? My wife is not concerned at all. However, I have read here that it does happen. Does anyone have any input on this subject?

Don't worry about it. I think the chance of that are very slim. Even at the 225-280 temps people smoke at, I think they are smart enough to feel the heat and stay away from it.

That is what I am hoping.

I am also hoping to be eating by kickoff of the Bills-Pats game.

And while I am hoping, I hope the Bills crush the Pats in Boston. It never hurts to hope...

Ug, racoons.

I once had to pay $560 to remove a racoon that got caught in a trap we had set. We had a family of the darn things take up residence under our deck. "Animal control" around here will not touch any undomesticated animal unless it's a dead animal in the road (I thought that's what they were for) so we had a company come out and set a trap. The guy that set the trap told us that it would be several days, as long as a week, before we could hope to catch anything and to just call when we did and they would come and remove it. He said it would be no problem if it was left for a few hours because when a 'coon get's caught in a trap they make no noise, so as not to attract preditors. Oh, they also had stickers all over the trap and made us sign a form that it is against the law for us to touch the trap once it's been set.

True to Murphy's law we caught one that very night at about 11pm. Apparently no one told Mr. Coon about the whole 'not making any noise' bit because he started screeching to beat the band. No kidding, you could hear it a mile away. Well, the neighbors went nuts about the noise and the police were called (but still wouldn't do anything about the actual animal).

We had to call the service back out or get a ticket from the cops. Because it was during non-business hours they tagged on a $500 charge.

The guy that came to take it away said he had never heard one kick up a fuss like that.

Great.

If it ever happens again the coon will get a shot to the head and be left out in the road for animal control to take away.
icon_smile.gif

Dan,

You didn't have a baseball bat? lol
icon_eek.gif

You don't want to get a fine for discharging a gun do you?

Believe me, I thought of the bat several times. The way I figure, if the fine for shooting it is less then $500 I'd be coming out ahead.
icon_smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bob T.:
Dan,

You didn't have a baseball bat? lol
icon_eek.gif

You don't want to get a fine for discharging a gun do you? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Back