Overnight Chuck Roll

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruce Bissonnette

TVWBB Guru
Put a 20.45lb chuck roll on the WSM at 7:10pm on
Wednesday night. Rubbed with Wild Willy's #One-derful Rub with minor tweaking. Using Kamado Extruded Coconut Charcoal, Minion Method, with 4 chunks of oak and 2 chunks of cherry wood.

Encountered problems with low lid temps in the first 3-5 hours of cook but after 5 hours the lid temp was at 246 and the top grate temp was at 224, where it had been +/- 5 degrees, since 8:30pm.

Will post more updates and pictures sometime on Thursday. This is one hunkin' piece of cow!!!
icon_eek.gif

Later...

I'll be picking up my first chuck roll tomorrow for a thursday night start. Been reading up on them for.. the past hour and a half!
icon_eek.gif
Eager to hear details.

~Dave

Bruce, I am going to cook one of those chuck rolls before too long, but I am interested in the extruded C Charcoal. Let us know how you liked the stuff.
DP

7:30am - Top grate 228, Lid temp 252, Meat temp

Been hummin' along since 1am, temps have hardly moved. Plan on taking it to 170 then foiling, with planned internal temp of 200-205.

I have used Kamado Charcoal on and off for about 3 months. I split an order with another TVWB forum member nearby. I have really liked it. The main thing that impresses me is how long the coals last. Without a lie, after a long cook (butts, brisket) you will have about 20% of your coals that have not even ignited yet and can be used for other cooks.

It burns a little hotter and much longer than lump or briquettes. Have to be careful that you watch your temps on the way up. Lastly, very little ash.

12:30pm - 251 at lid; 226 at top grate; 190 internal meat temp. Pulling at 200-205

Almost 18 hours on one load of Kamado, so far so great!!!!

3:15pm - 20 hour and 5 minute cook
Final internal meat temp 202

Wrapped in 1 more foil layer and placed in cooler wrapped in beach towel.

Checked charcoal ring and found most of the charcoal had been used up, however, there were stil about 25 coals that were glowing red and had good fire left in them. AMAZING! Smells incredible.

Will pull for dinner tonight, take some pics and download.

Bruce must be busy pulling that CR. When I did mine 2 weeks ago, there was so much meat it took a good 1/2 hour to pull. Then sit and enjoy the meal...think about it...who cares about pictures with all of that going on LOL.
icon_biggrin.gif

Nick P.

Hey, Bruce, how would you compare Kamado Extruded Coconut Charcoal to other hardwood lump charcoals (if you've used any) in terms of burn duration and temperature control in the WSM?

~Dave

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Dave Cluck:
Hey, Bruce, how would you compare Kamado Extruded Coconut Charcoal to other hardwood lump charcoals (if you've used any) in terms of burn duration and temperature control in the WSM?

~Dave <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ah, nevermind, Bruce. Just found a thread where you shared your initial experiences with it last July.

~Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back