Overnight Butt Cook w/New Kingsford

Looks beateous. And, where can I find a fattie recipe - also looks very interesting, and anything stuffed with brie and smoked, well.. lead me to it, Tony.

Best,
Mike

Mike,

A fatty is just roll sausage (I use breakfast sausage) that is smoked low and slow (220-225 Degrees) for about 4 hours.

I buy Tennessee Pride Hot breafast sausage and smash it out flat. Then fill with whatever you want. Roll it back up, cover with your favorite rub and pop it in the smoker. Internal temp should be at least 165 but I cook mine to about 175-180. I use hickory wood - Yum...Yum...! Sometimes I "Kick it up a notch" by wrapping it with a couple of bacon slices too! Oh my gosh, I am getting hungry again!
icon_biggrin.gif

Here is the last few posts from my blog...

Sunday, April 16, 2006 8:00 AM

The smoker temperature is back up to 225 and we will see what happens next!

Sunday, April 16, 2006 1:36 PM

The smoker temperature is still 225! The internal temp of my butt is at 185. I like to get my butts off the smoker at 200 degrees internal so I have a little more time left. At this point though, I have all the vents of the WSM open and the temp is holding nicely. It looks like I am going to complete this cook on my usual 1 load of coal - I think. I am about 14 hours into the cook and my next post will have a pic of the butt as it is coming off the smoker. I will pull it about 2 hours after that and then post my final pics. So far, so good - with the exception of all the usual Kingsford ash.

Sunday, April 16, 2006 3:15 PM

The smoker temperature is still at 225 degrees and holding! Very cool! The internal temp of the butt is at 190 degrees. Some would taker her off now, but not me! I think I will let'er ride a little longer. I have baked beans and cole slaw waiting and my cornbread is waiting to go into the oven. I am certain now that this cook is going to finish in about 18+ hours on one load of the new Kingsford. More to come!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bill Mengel:
I'd say an 18 hour cook is doing pretty darn good. How in the world did you get 20 lbs of charcoal in the ring? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Bill,

That seems like a lot of charcoal to me, too. How much can you typically fit in your ring? I seem to think they hold about 10 pounds.

Jim

Its done!
icon_smile.gif
Just about 18 hours. I did not get to take it to 200 internal temp because the coals literally gave out and the temp started dropping pretty fast. So, I took it off at 194 degrees - not bad; actually, pretty good for this cook. The full ring of coals is 99.9% gone but the ash is a little less than I am used to - so there is definitely an improvement there. Overall, I am happy with the cook and I think I will try another long cook with the new Kingsford to see how reproduceable things are. Here are the finals...

The finished butt!

The remaining coals before I shook down the ash...

Here are the remaining coals after I shook down the ash, I did not empty ash at all during the cook...

Now for a little "Food ****!"...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bill Mengel:
I'd say an 18 hour cook is doing pretty darn good. How in the world did you get 20 lbs of charcoal in the ring? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I did not get the whole 20 lbs. in just alot of it maybe even most of it. Maybe I was cheated on the contents of the bag, but I know there is only enough left in the bag to fill up the chimney starter, maybe a tad more.

Tony sounds pretty good a 18 hour without refueling isn't bad. It does sound like it did take up a full bag even though there is a little left, but not really enough left to do much with. I guess I'm saying 1 bag 1 cook, if I'm understanding you right. Not as cheap as the old stuff but at least it works. My comments are kind of unfair because I haven't used the new stuff, in fact I haven't even used up the old stuff I have because I switched to lump this year since I found it locally. Yep I'm one of those lump guys now.
icon_smile.gif
Not quite a Kford snob yet but working my way towards it.
icon_smile.gif

Bill,

I may not ditch Kingsford right away, but I am going to start trying out some various brands of lump because, I really think a transition is coming for me too.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tony Hunter:
I did not get the whole 20 lbs. in just alot of it maybe even most of it. Maybe I was cheated on the contents of the bag, but I know there is only enough left in the bag to fill up the chimney starter, maybe a tad more. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Tony,

You may have found the secret to using this new stuff for long cooks. Pack it really tightly into the ring so that oxygen flow is restricted or cut off. As long as I can get good temperature control and long cooks, I won't worry too much about the higher cost.

BTW - Your results look outstanding.

Jim

Tony, nice pics. Did 4 butts this weekend. Used up the last of my old Kingsford. Took 18 hours and about 10-12 lbs of the charcoal. Had to fill the Brinkmann pan at about 1:30 am. Made the mistake of leaving the house for a few hours without checking the pan. When I got back I knew by the temp and the sizzle sound I was in trouble. Fortunately, They didn't burn too bad. They were falling apart around 177. Took them off and let sit for a couple of hours. Good stuff!!!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by paul h:
Tony, nice pics. Did 4 butts this weekend. Used up the last of my old Kingsford. Took 18 hours and about 10-12 lbs of the charcoal. Had to fill the Brinkmann pan at about 1:30 am. Made the mistake of leaving the house for a few hours without checking the pan. When I got back I knew by the temp and the sizzle sound I was in trouble. Fortunately, They didn't burn too bad. They were falling apart around 177. Took them off and let sit for a couple of hours. Good stuff!!! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Paul, I am glad they turned out ok. How high was the temp when you got back?

Tony, She'd been holding around 220. When I got back it was almost 240. Not that bad. Gave it a nice crispy bark. Each cook is a new learning experience. Everyone enjoyed the pork. Gave most of it away.Tried something different. When I usually assemble the WSM after the coals are ready I"m always fighting smoke in my eyes. What I did this time was when the full ring of charcoal burned down a bit I added the wood. That worked out well. Used Hickory,Oak,and some Cherry.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by paul h:
Tony, She'd been holding around 220. When I got back it was almost 240. Not that bad. Gave it a nice crispy bark. Each cook is a new learning experience. Everyone enjoyed the pork. Gave most of it away.Tried something different. When I usually assemble the WSM after the coals are ready I"m always fighting smoke in my eyes. What I did this time was when the full ring of charcoal burned down a bit I added the wood. That worked out well. Used Hickory,Oak,and some Cherry. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Awww dude, thats not bad at all! Low and Slow cooking temps go up to 250 degrees. So, it may have spiked a bit but not high enough to cause big concern. Hey, if the people eating it were happy, satisfied, full and taking home extras, I'd say you had a great success.
icon_smile.gif

Ok, now I am even more impressed. Last night, I actually cleaned my WSM from Sunday's cook. I went to dump the ashes and there was a lot less than I would have had with the old Kingsford. Now, remember, this is my experience and I am in no way suggesting that everyone will or even should get these results. When I say less I would have to estimate about 25-30% less. For me that is quite a bit. The reason I am so surprised is because I know I pack that ring chock full of coals. I knew there was less ash but I did not know it would be that significant.

Back