Overnight brisket... my first

Chad Dickinson

TVWBB Member
Going to do an overnighter tonight. I need brisket done around noon tomorrow.

After trimming, the brisket weighs in at 10 lbs. I'm using worcestshire sauce and Texas BBQ #1 rub.

I was planning on putting it on around 6pm tonight, which at 1.5 hours per pound puts me finished around 9am tomorrow. That will give me lots of time to cooler the meat.

Question is...
Is foiling the brisket from 170 to 205 mandatory? Or is it just something people do to speed things up toward the end? Or, even, just to keep moistness/tenderness? If I decide to foil, what temp for the oven?

Thanks again in advance all!
Chad

yes your times sounds great......foiling is just a prefference that some ppl like.. it is done to speed up cooking and to keep the brisket moist.....if you just want it for moist you can wrap it also but it will speed up cooking just a tad..

if you are going to wrap with foil do it around 160 and take it to 200 and then let it rest in a cooler.....do searches for meat resting and youlll have a ton of suggestions....

when you wrap it you can just put it back in the WSM no need to use oven good luck

keep us posted and take pics....

Some people (including myself) feel that foiling changes the texture of the meat. It takes on some of the texture of a pot roast. I like using foil to rest the meat, but refuse to wrap it during the cook.

This is not to say that any one way is correct. It's all a matter of personal preference. Try cooking a few different ways and see what works for you!

Chad,
Freeze or store your brisket whole or in large chunks to help preserve precious moisture. Eat the best part right away, though, cause it will never gets any better than fresh.

Just thought I'd post an update.

I put the meat on at 6:00pm exactly. Used Minion Method, and place 18 hot coals on top of a full charcoal bowl.

Temp quickly came up to 200... about 5 mins. I immediately closed off all vents(except top of course). Temp stabilized at 220 lid temp.

That was a little lower than I wanted, so I ended up leaving 2 vents about 1/2 open. That stabilized the lid temp at 250. Last time I had a lid temp of 250, I had a grate temp of 235, which is EXACTLY where I want to be!

Any thoughts on anything I should be doing different?

When should I start basting with AJ?

4 hours down..... 8-12 to go!

Chad-sounds great. I did an 11 lb. the other day. It did not last 24 hours. 2 adults, 2 grown boys consumed it by lunch the next day.
I have only done a few brisket...I foiled the first ones-thought they were great. The last packer I did not foil and this one went to a whole nother level-I thought no foil was much better by my taste. Try both see what you like.

I can't believe my mistake. Last night, I AJ'd and filled with water before going to bed. I checked temp 10 mins after I AJ'd it, and it had climbed to 280 lid temp (260-265 grate temp in my cooker). I quickly closed off all vents, and decided to wait until the temp settled back to 250 at the lid before going to bed.

Well, long story short, I couldn't get the temp to come back down, so I went to bed with all vents closed. I wake up this am to check things out, and I find the side door laying on the deck. I either forgot to put it back on (probably), or it popped off on its own. I can't believe I didn't see it laying there. But, at 12:10 in the morning, after a long day, and pitch black outside???

The lid temp this am was.... 250.

Anyways, I quickly take the temp of the thickest part of the brisket, fearing the worst. Temp was at 200 degrees. I pulled her off, double foiled, and threw it in the cooler for serving time around 11am or noon.

I'll try to remember to take pics before I cut into it, and I'll obviously keep you guys posted. It looks like I may have lucked out, but I'm such a dolt!!!

Hey Chad
Sounds like good news to me.
At least with the door off the temps can't climb too high. You're inspiting me to do a brisket now.

Well, here is the finished product.

Is it normal for the flat to be a bit dry? Mine was. Could have been from the higher temp though.

The flavor was excellent, though I think I'll use a more aggresive smoke next time. I used white oak and hickory on this one, and maybe next time I'll use more hickory, and maybe even add a little mesquite. You can see from the pics, my smoke ring needed a bit of help.

Overall, on a scale of 1-10, I'd give my first brisket ever.... an 8.

I can't wait to improve upon it.

Here are a couple of pics.

Thanks to all, once again for the help!

Chad

an 8 is a great number for your first cook....as your cooks go forth youll realize that your "8"s will keep gettin better.. and yes the flat is usually more dry.. you might want to experiment next time with foiling at 160 good luck

Mords

Back