Outer Banks Butcher

Carlos chani

My family and I are vacationing in the outer banks with 3 other families and I'm being "forced" to bring my WSM with me to BBQ!! Anyway I was wondering if anyone knew of a good local butcher/market where I can get my meat. I'm planning on ribs, pork butts, and brisket.
Thanks in advance.

Carlos, where in the OBX are you staying? I saw a place called the Butcher Block. I think it was in Kill Devil Hills. I didn't go there but saw various advertisements and drove by it. I was just there in early June.

Are you sure it's not Corolla? That's where we stayed. Not the 4x4 area though. Kill Devil Hills is about 25 south of there. There is a Harris Teeter grocery store close by though. Fairly nice meat section there. I bought some decent lump there too(Nature's Own Hardwood). If you have any questions about the area let me know. It's still fresh in my mind. Love it there.

It's definitely Carova the house is about 9 miles up the beach. Supposedly we have to drive on the beach to get to it. Thanks for the info. we can't wait to get there!

I've never heard of that name. Is it North of Corolla? Almost to Virginia? Have you been to the OBX before? I had to check out some of the Q joints in the area on my trip. If you are in the Corolla area there is a little shack right in the historic village called Corolla Village BBQ. It wasn't too bad. Lots of vinegary sauce though. High Cotton in Kitty Hawk had a good sandwich too. I wanted to try the Duck Deli bbq but didn't the chance.

This is my first time there and from what I understand it is north of corolla nearing the VA border. I'm traveling down to Atlanta after vacation and plan on hitting the "BBQ trail" as recommended on the ncbbqsociety website.

When we went we traveled down 77 to the Piedmont region of NC and visited Lexington. My cousin and I hit two joints in about 1/2 hour. We would have done more but we were full by then. Lexington BBQ was the better of the two. The other was BBQ Center. You'll have a great time in the OBX. The only annoying thing is the slow travel on rt. 12 north and south. There's a place in Corolla called Timbuk II. Lots of shops and restaurants there. Grocery too. Don't shop on Saturday or Sunday. Crowds are huge! Have fun!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Carlos chani:
This is my first time there and from what I understand it is north of corolla nearing the VA border. I'm traveling down to Atlanta after vacation and plan on hitting the "BBQ trail" as recommended on the ncbbqsociety website. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Check out this site. It's all about Carolina BBQ "joints".

http://www.carolinabbqjoints.com/

They ain't kidding about needing 4WD to get to Carova. You drive for about 10 miles on the beach to get there. Conditions vary daily from firm sand to loose, fluffy, buried-up-your-axels sand. Make sure you have a tow strap. Shovel and boards if you have room. If there's strong wind blowing on shore during high tide, the beach can get very, very narrow. Make sure you let the air out of your tires until they start to flatten out a little, like to 20psi. Makes a huge difference.

I don't think there any stores in Carova. I think it'a all houses and fire station. Kind of remote. You stock up in Corolla with all you can carry on your way out.

I'm not aware a butcher shop anywhere in the northern OBX, but there's a nice Harris Teeter grocery store just south of Corolla around the Ocean Sands area. They'll have good beef and chicken, not sure if the pork HT sells is fresh or enhanced though. There's a Food Lion in Corolla and a small "gourmet" grocery in Duck.

There'a a Walmart on Hwy 158 in Kitty Hawk. That may be the only place to get a brisket.

It's nice out there though. Have fun!

Thank you for all the helpful information, we can't wait to get there and do nothing!! When I get back I'll let you know how we made out.

Back