Status
Not open for further replies.

Stefan B

TVWBB All-Star
Lookie what came in the mail today
jiggy.gif

It's only reading 55 because it couldn't read lower
icon_wink.gif

Was prob around 40. And that's feeling warmer!

Hey Stefan where did you get the blue OTG. I am looking to get one, but here in BC it hard to find.

Originally posted by Dave O:
Hey Stefan where did you get the blue OTG. I am looking to get one, but here in BC it hard to find.

I can put one on the Greyhound for you if you'd like.

Let me know!

I like those silicon stoppers. I tried to buy a couple from BBQ Guru without the thermometers (since I already have more than I need) but they wouldn't sell them separately.

Bill

Originally posted by Archie Sellis (Cajun600):
Nice, I took it one step farther and added the same thermometer / bezel that is on some of the platinum / performer models. Got both for about 15 on ebay, drilled a hole, sealed with hi-temp black paint, and put thermometer in!

Works great for smoking!

What size bit did you use and what were your reasons for placing it where you did? I have the same therm coming.

I bought a replacement thermometer for a gas grill. It has a really short inside thermometer part. Drilled a hole and inserted it. It came with a screw for the inside.

I convert my 22.5 Kettle to smoke often and without the attached thermometer I could never keep the temp at 270. My vents are almost completely shut when I smoke and the thermometer is a necessity. In addition the hole I had to drill is completely sealed by the thermometer and screw.

Joerg

Originally posted by m grau:
I bought a replacement thermometer for a gas grill. It has a really short inside thermometer part. Drilled a hole and inserted it. It came with a screw for the inside.

I convert my 22.5 Kettle to smoke often and without the attached thermometer I could never keep the temp at 270. My vents are almost completely shut when I smoke and the thermometer is a necessity. In addition the hole I had to drill is completely sealed by the thermometer and screw.

Joerg

I don't think that keeping the top vent "almost completely closed" is a wise idea. You might end up with a nasty "creosote" condition.

I don't think that keeping the top vent "almost completely closed" is a wise idea. You might end up with a nasty "creosote" condition.[/QUOTE]

For regular grilling I agree, but when I do a low and slow smoking session there really isn't anything I can do. If I open them I can't keep the temp low, it always rises well above 300. And for a pork butt that isn't a good thing.

But I will take this as an opportunity to look into it, and if it seems that there is too much build up I may use it to convince my wife that I do need to get a WSM after all!
icon_biggrin.gif

Joerg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back