OTG & Performer & 24 steaks (sorry no food pictures)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bob L

TVWBB Super Fan
= yummy !

For celebrating my 50th year on this planet earth, I wanted rib eye's and corn on the cob. I wanted to go to Peter's Luger's in NYC, but I am too poor to treat everybody, so instead I had everybody over last Sunday for a cook-out. (oops, almost said BBQ!)

The Cast -

Wife - did sides: 4 bean salad, coleslaw, baked beans, fresh ice tea
Me - did outside cooking
Performer - did steak searing
OTG - did indirect cooking of steaks
Q200, Performer and OTG - cooked the corn
12 1.5 inch 1 lb rib eye steaks from Costco, cut in half- about 24 in total.
Unspecified # of corn

How it was handled -

Well, my brother came over early and I test cooked a steak for him. I keep hearing about people judging how the steaks are done by feel, so I figured my brothers steak was the test subject. He likes his steak med rare (warm red center) and I figured I would cook most of the steaks this way. So with a thermometer and a thumb, I was able to see what the steaks felt like when they are cooked med-rare. This helped so much when I cooked all the other steaks.

So, for the big show, I started performer, otg and Q200 -

Cooked a bunch of corn on the cob - (soak corn in water and threw the on the grill. They are done when they become brown, about 45 mins. When corn was cooking, I start another chimney full of charcoal on my Jumbo Joe (so I actually say I used all 4 grill on Sun). This was to be used on my performer so I could sear the steaks. When the corn was done, I dumped the lit charcoal in my performer so I could achieve some high temps to sear. I was going to do a reverse sear, but I though searing first would be easier. So I seared, and then cooked them indirectly over the OTG.

The searing process was the best, flames everywhere!
icon_smile.gif
. I felt like a professional cook. Having 2 grills made cooking that much steak easy. As it turned out, 2 people wanted it well done, and 2 wanted them med (little pink). Everybody else got them how I cooked them; my goal was med rare- warm pink center.

I made a coffee based rum for the steaks, but nobody wanted the rub, so I ended up just salting and peppering them. I didn't think I could keep track of my ribeye with just the coffee rub.

I made extra rib eye's, so If people wanted 2nd's they could and did. I also had hot dogs and hamburgers that were cooked on my Q200 by my brother while I attending to the steaks. All the steak was eaten except for 2 pieces

Notes:

Rib Eyes are the best!

The searing process of the high heat is definitely the way to go to achieve the flavor of steaks cooked by the steak-house. The flavor was amazing. The steaks from Costco were so tender and tasty, I would buy them again.

Cooking Steaks by touch is easy, after doing a bunch it was easy to tell how done they were. It must of worked well, 'cause everybody said thier steak was done to perfection. Except the two that wanted there's well done, one said it was done too much - lol

Cooking 20 + steaks was 20 minutes of madness, but it was so much fun.

My brother-in-law kept saying he was sorry I was working so hard on my birthday, I kept saying it was ok. I know I could not explain why it was not work to me.

On a final note, Rib eye's, fresh corn on the cob from Jersey, family and friends- it was my best birthday ever!

Lastly, I apologize for no pictures, maybe next time. Most of all I want to thank all on this board; because without them, last Sunday would not have been possible!

congrats, and it sounds like a good time was had by all (well except maybe the well done ones
icon_wink.gif
}

I have been to steak houses that had printed on the menu
"we do NOT guarantee the looks of medium well and well done steaks"
icon_eek.gif
icon_biggrin.gif

I know, I killed there steaks
icon_smile.gif
I tried to discourage them but that is how they wanted them cooked.

Some background, I went to a picnic at one of the "well done" people's house and somebody brought omaha steaks cooked in some weird sauce in an oven. Needless to say they were cooked well done and everybody said they like them. I hope people were being nice.

Sounds like a phenomenal cook. Next time, you'll have to assign someone to photo duty.
icon_wink.gif

Happy belated birthday!

bob, happy birthday ! sounds like you had a great time doing what you like, surrounded by family and friends. hard to beat that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back