OTG arrives tomorrow - what else do I need?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adam F

Its been about 6 weeks since I got my 22 WSM and between smoking on it and reading these boards, I was overcome with desire to replace my ratty, rusty OTS. My new green OTG should beat me home from work tomorrow which I will use to cook a flank steak as soon as I get it together.

I ordered the charcoal baskets and a cover. Are there other must-haves?

The OTG will join a 2010 Genesis 320, the WSM and an EZ SJS my late grandma got me back in my college days.

Thanks for reading,

Adam

If you don't already have one, a Weber Charcoal Chimney starter is a must have.

Another great accessory is the Weber Gourmet Grate system. The weber cookbooks are another must have. The three I have are Weber's Big Book of Grilling, Weber's Way to Grill, and the newest one called Time to Grill.

Steak!
icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Brian Thomas:
If you don't already have one, a Weber Charcoal Chimney starter is a must have.
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'd say that this is the #1 "must have" accessory for any charcoal grill, along with your cover to preserve it.

Assuming that you already have a stiff wire brush, decent gloves and good long tongs the following are nice to have, but by no means essential:
<UL TYPE=SQUARE>
<LI> Weber Slide-Aside Lid Holder - very handy lid holder to goes a long way to make a OTG closer in features to a Plainum (of course your OTG lid can hang off the side rim by iteself but not as well)
<LI> Tool Holder of some sort if you don't have a adjacent table. I replaced a cheap one I bought at Menards with this Weber 1201 model
<LI> Lighter Cubes - learn also to use newspaper as well but these cubes are a nice luxury
<LI> Bamboo skewers. Asian grocery stores sell them cheap. 12" for Kabobs, little 6" skewers for thick onion slices
<LI> For your birthday/Christmas wish list: a Thermapen
<LI>...and of course the list can go on with beer can chicken holders, firewire, grilling baskets, etc...
[/list]

Have fun, it's a great grill

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. The OTG arrived today but was damaged in shipping, so I have a couple more days to be eager and plan for it while they ship me a new one.

I have a chimney for my WSM and a brush. I'll start shopping around for a tool holder as well.

Any brand suggestions on the tongs?

Adam, a nice pair of gloves are essential, I use welders gloves which are working out nicely. A small prep table will be helpful too. Not sure if you mentioned getting a cover, but I'd add one to the list if you didnt already order it

Congrat Adam! When you get the replacement all will be okay. In the meantime purchase everything the guys have listed. Besides what Marc said about the welder gloves, I have a pair of the Weber grill gloves, they are long and work really well. I also purchased the Weber grill set for the fork, spatula and tongs. They have nice long handles. So while you are waiting think of what you is going to be your first cook!! Have fun!!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Adam F:
Any brand suggestions on the tongs? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sorry to hear about your shipping damage.

For tongs, the longer the better but many included in grilling "sets" are poorly designed hand torture devices. (particularly the cheap narrow u-shaped ones.) Ones like this should work well. I also understand that Cook's Illustrated rated the Oxo Good Grips 16-inch Locking Tongs as best in their ratings.

Another feature of good tongs, besides length, is the angle of the "tong-end." While any will work it is preferable to have it be a little more flat at the end versus a sharper point. A sharper point is great for general home use when you are picking up small items, tossing a salad, etc., but the flatter feature of some grilling tongs is nice when you are flipping items that you don't want to puncture.

In the end go with whatever seems comfortable with you. You'll likely want multiple tongs anyways.

I had great fortune last week. My replacement OTG arrived the very next day. I was able to get it together and ordered the OXO tongs Daniel S mentioned. They are very nice tongs.

Last week was my wife's birthday and cooking was dominated by the WSM. I did cook some corn in the husk on the OTG which turned out fantastic.

Tonight, I was finally able to cook meat on the OTG. All we had was some hot dogs and a couple meat counter blue cheese burgers. I can't begin to explain how well they turned out. The hot dogs were for my kids, but the wife and I each had one because they looked so good. They tasted even better.

The burgers were great too and cooked perfectly. I normally burn this type of burger on the Genesis but I kept a direct and indirect zone and moved them back and forth.

Thanks all for the advice on tools, I have some and will be getting more.

Happy grilling,

Adam

Good job Adam! Ah a charcoal grilled burger,mmm delicious. Wait until you grill steaks. Keep that indirect zone. A few more grilling sessions, things will really start to taste even better due to the build up of grease/seasoning.But I am sure you already know that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back