Ordered my Stoker Today!

bryan baker

TVWBB Member
Can't wait for it to come in. On backorder though. I already have the wifi set up at the house for the kids stuff. I need to find a wireless bridge now. Wondering if I can steal one off the kids console game systems. LOL

Thanks Amir. And thank you for the stokerlog program. Have just started reading about it. Sounds like an outstanding program. Looking forward to using it.

Stoker came in today. I'm really stoked!!! (pun intended) Won't get to play with it until tomorrow. Looking at a midweek cook of butts over brisket!!
icon_smile.gif

Congrats again.

I suggest connecting to it with stokerlog while in your living room to become familiar with it. You should be able to monitor the room temperature, hold the probe for the temp to go up, etc.

First thing you need to do though is to associate which sensor is your fire probe. That must be done in the browser. Then you can use stokerlog.

I am also a new stoker owner, planning a cook for this weekend.

I setup the stoker, with the stoker log, but when I tested it the fan would come on after being plugged in, but turned off fairly quickly. I had the target pit temp set higher than the measured, but the fan did not come on.

Is there possibly a problem?
Also, measured boiling water at 210.4 on both food probes. has anyone else taken readings? I am pretty close to sea level in NJ.

you have to set everything up via the web interface. Open your web browser and type in the stokers IP address (example 192.169.1.1) and then you can associate the blower with the pit probe.
So if you have a"pit probe" over on the left it will say blower and you drop down the menu and it will say "blower 1" or whatever its named and then you click update at the bottom. When it refreshes up in the left it will say Blower and the box will be filled in with whatever you blower is called. The the pit probe will have the blower name next to it.
Then you go to stokerlog File refresh data from stoker.
As for the boiling water. I think its 2 degrees less at 1000 feet, but if you are at sea level, then just adjust the probe. Or not. 2 degrees isn't going to ruin meat!

So I didn't get to play with my Stoker and stokerlog until today. Spent most of the day tinkering with it and love it. Hoping to do the first cook with them this week.

I have everything pretty much ironed out except the port forwarding. I can't see my stoker page from outside the network. I have accessed my linksys router page and tried setting up port forwarding with no luck. I have set a static IP address so I don't think that's an issue.

Stoker Log is awesome. Thanks Amir! I had to reflash the firmware on the stoker unit itself to get away from some nasties that wouldn't go away.

Thanks for the video's Rob. They were great. Hopefully I can get this worked out and get my wireless bridge set up so I can start cooking alot of Q
Linksys%20port%20forwarding.jpg

Stoker%20Status.jpg

Stokerlog.jpg

Any ideas on my port forwarding problem?

Thanks for all the help

Bryan

Here are the steps:

1)Setup an IP reservation for the MAC address of the stoker on your router. Lets say your stoker's MAC is 00:00:FF:AA:BB:CC. Make a reservation on your router such that the MAC address above is always assigned the IP address 192.168.1.102 or some other number.
I'm not sure if you can do this on the default Linksys firmware. You may need to flash it with DD-WRT or Tomato to get this functionality. Google "linksys IP reservation". I use DD-WRT on mine so it's not an issue.

2)In the port RANGE forwarding page you show above enter the following:

App Start End Protocol IP
---------------------------------------
www 80 80 TCP 192.168.1.102
telnet 23 23 both 192.168.1.102

3)Setup the Stoker for DHCP by setting the first number of the IP address to 255 as described in the manual. Hit SELECT 4 times and cycle the power off/on.

4)Check the Stoker's IP address. It should read 192.168.1.102

5) Go to http://www.whatsmyip.org/ and find out the WAN address of your router listed at the top of the page. Let's say it's 65.96.53.152

6) From inside your LAN open the following URL in your browser:
http://65.96.53.152 (or whatever IP you got from WhatsMyIP)

If everything is fine then you should see the stoker web UI.

7)If you can't get to the URL in number 6 from another LAN outside your own then most likely your ISP is blocking port 80. In that case, you'll need to setup port MAPPING as well as IP forwarding. How you do this is up to you. Most of us run other firmware on the router such as DD-WRT or Tomato to enable us to do this.

For instance, with DD-WRT I can tell my router to take all incomming requests to port 8080 on the WAN side and have them MAPPED to port 80 of IP address 192.168.1.102 on my internal LAN. I can therefore get to my stoker using the URL: http://routers_WAN_IP:8080

Also note you would need to do the same thing to port 23 when using StokerLog unless you have the HTTP Only box checked. (map something like 2323 to 23) I'm not quite sure how to specify a port other than 23 within StokerLog though. You may just need to go HTTP only. Maybe Amir can answer this.

-rob

Also, Forgot to mention that you should toggle the blower combo box on your probes to Weber 18 1/2 so the Stoker knows all the probes and blowers are grouped into the same pit. I'm not sure if this matters if you are only controlling a single pit but it helps to remain consistent.

-rob

Thanks so much Rob for the detailed help.

I used the 80 80 in the port range and visited the "whatsmyip.org" web site to find out my router address. Typed that into a browser from a off network computer and also tried my iphone and brought up my stoker web UI page. SWEET!!!

I haven't associated my mac address of the stoker to a permanent ip address in my router setup pages. Not sure when that's gonna bite me in the butt. Sounds like I need to upgrade firmware on the router. May jump into that in the next few days once I am comfortable with what I'm doing with the stoker.

Stoker log seems to be working fine but I haven't been able to access it from the internet. I also port forwarded port 23 and used my stoker ip address but can't bring it up in a browser. I have tried with http only box ticked on and off but still no luck. I need to read more on that subject. From what I understand I should be able to type the ip address of my stoker with a :23 on the end of it or the ip address of my router with the :23 on the end. Still confused on that issue but everything else seems to be normal. Gonna run it for several hours over the next few days to see how stable.

Thanks again to everyone for the help. Great info here.
icon_smile.gif

Linksys%20port%20forwarding.png.jpg

Originally posted by RobM (YankeeRob):
Also, Forgot to mention that you should toggle the blower combo box on your probes to Weber 18 1/2 so the Stoker knows all the probes and blowers are grouped into the same pit. I'm not sure if this matters if you are only controlling a single pit but it helps to remain consistent.

I have selected "blower 1", which now has an asterik beside it to my pit probe. But not sure what you mean by blower combo box. Is this a setting found in a new version of firmware? And speaking of upgrading firmware... do you know if you upgrade firmware, do you need to re-calibrate probes? (or do those settings hold in firmware updating).
-rob

A combo box is just programmer speak for the toggle box that allows you to select the blower. Sounds like you have it set right.

The only time you need to forward port 23 is when you are using stokerLog which uses it when the Use HTTP only box is UNCHECKED.

If you can't do IP reservation then you'll just need to hope the DHCP server serves out the same IP address to the Stoker each time it asks for one. If it gets a different IP address then the one you have in the IP forwarding rules you'll need to change that at the router.

In StokerLog when you input the IP address make sure it's http only and address it like so:
http://stoker_ip_address:8080

If you can get to it with an iPhone then you should be able to get to it with StokerLog.
-rob

Originally posted by RobM (YankeeRob):
A combo box is just programmer speak for the toggle box that allows you to select the blower. Sounds like you have it set right.

The only time you need to forward port 23 is when you are using stokerLog which uses it when the Use HTTP only box is UNCHECKED.

If you can't do IP reservation then you'll just need to hope the DHCP server serves out the same IP address to the Stoker each time it asks for one. If it gets a different IP address then the one you have in the IP forwarding rules you'll need to change that at the router.

In StokerLog when you input the IP address make sure it's http only and address it like so:
http://stoker_ip_address:8080

If you can get to it with an iPhone then you should be able to get to it with StokerLog.
-rob

I get the numebers in the stoker log from the stoker UI. No problems there but what I was trying to do was to view the stokerlog over the internet.

Not sure if there is a way to do that or not.

Haven't had time to mess much with it tonight. I'm in girl scout cookie **** trying to divide all the boxes and get them delivered.
icon_smile.gif

Another problem that is popping up is I'm loosing my ability to see the stoker UI over the internet. I think my computer is going in stand by mode and it's shutting my router down. Will try to run another test tomorrow with the energy saving mode turned off.

Thanks again Rob. Hopefully I will get a handle on this stuff and help someone else out.

Hi all. Used the stoker for the first time last weekend. Worked great once I associated the blower with the pit probe, and not the meat! Thank you Rob M for the videos, and Amir for the stoker log. Very happy with the results.

I've only forwarded port 80 to my stoker. (I've done the IP reservation, and forwarding for port 80. All is working well to the outside internet {I can access from my Iphone over 3g net}. But I notice your advice on port 23. I'm having an issue getting Stokerlog to email or text out. Perhaps I need to forward port 23 for telenet, and that might address the situation?

The router configuration settings are for inbound connections only. The email function of StokerLog is an outbound connection so you shouldn't need to setup any firewall rules for that.

I've never used it but I think all you need is the SMTP server for your ISP as well as password and userID. You can get this from your ISP or take a look at your email client to figure out where it is. I tihnk many people use Gmail's POP service for that.

-rob

Back