OpenWrt Help

Robert Burditt

TVWBB Member
I'm trying to load openwrt on my rPi but having difficulty. If I understand correctly, I take a blank sdisk card and copy the three openwrt files to it. Once I do that, boot up the rPi and I should be able to access the website at 192.168.200.1... I plugged the HDMI cable to the rPi and I'm not sure exactly what to expect but I think it is hanging during bootup. Should there be a login or something? When trying to access thru the web it is inaccessible. I think I'm missing an obvious step but have been looking around on the forum for the right answer..can someone help?

Thanks!
Bob

I've got a mac and tried both the diskutility to copy the images to the card as well as the dd command on the command line.. it does copy to a blank sdisk, correct? Or do I also need rasbian with it somehow? has anyone done this with either a mac or linux?

you don't need to copy it and don't need to install anything else. dd should have worked for you.

I've not tried it on linux, just used a windows machine. Hopefully someone else here has done it with a Mac and give you a few pointers. Other than that all I could do is google how to install a disk image for rPi.

Here are a couple choices:
http://elinux.org/RPi_Easy_SD_Card_Setup

dave

Last edited:
Yeah all you should need to do is unzip the .img file from the openwrt-rpi.zip, then use dd to write it to the sdcard. Make sure that the sdcard isn't mounted then dd it to the disk device e.g. /dev/rdisk3 (not to the partition on the disk e.g. /dev/rdisk3s1). It doesn't matter what is on the sdcard beforehand, as this will wipe it out.
Code:
sudo dd bs=1m if=openwrt-brcm2708-sdcard-vfat-ext4_224.img of=/dev/rdiskDISKNUMBER

That's exactly what I did. I first tried just that file and then I tried all 3 of the files that are on the site (I wasn't sure if i also needed openwrt-rpi.1.zip and openwrt-rpi.2.zip).

I plugged in the rPi with the image you listed above and plugged the HDMI in so I could see what was happening. Once it booted up (I wish I had a screen shot), I could not get any kind of terminal login. I felt like the boot process eventually hung, but maybe it was all good. I thought there would be a way to log in from the console?

I also tried to reach it by hooking it to my LAN and going to 192.168.200.1 within my browser.

Oh! I thought you weren't getting anything. Yeah once it goes through the boot process it says "Press enter to activate this console" however it is easy to miss because it is right in the middle of some other kernel messages. Once it stops spitting out log messages (about the 15-20 second mark) you can press enter and get a root prompt. If it doesn't work, make sure your keyboard is being recognized (you should see a message about a USB HID keyboard or something).

Ok, it might be working..re-flashed the sdisk and it's booting up but the enter key isn't giving me a prompt. I'm going to try another keyboard tomorrow. It shows my keyboard (apple) being connected and disconnected on the screen but nothing seems to work.

On a related note, I have been looking for the config info for networking on the forum but haven't found it. You mention that the ethernet is set to 192.168.200.1 but the range on my router doesn't allow for that. I didn't see any settings on the router to expand the IP range. Is the solution to get a keyboard that works and change the rPi's IP to something w/in the range or to use the DHCP of my router? Or is the solution to make some sort of modification on the router?

Thanks!!

To do the network configuration, what you do is plug the wired ethernet into your existing home network. Then go to another computer and temporarily change your IP address to something like 192.168.200.2 / 255.255.255.0 / no default gateway or dns. Then you can access the configuration site and set up the wireless to join your home network. Once the wireless is set up, you can change your computer's IP back to DHCP and you're done, you just ignore the wired port from then on unless you need it.

If you edit the wired config on the Pi to make it be on your network, and then also try to configure the wireless to be on your network, it will not work because it gets confused as to which it should use.

Ok, It's all working now!! I changed my keyboard out with anther and was able to access the console and changed my Mac's IP to 192.168.200.2 and was able to use luci, etc.

Thank you so much for all of your help!

Back