OPD valve/Genesis issue

ErikU

I have a Genesis E310, the valve on my propane tank will not turn to the open position. The tank had been used several times prior with no issues. Also, I did not do anything different than I normally do, i.e. I open the valve slowly prior to opening the burners. I contacted the propane manufacturer and they agreed to take the tank back as a defective cylinder. Today, I tried a a different tank that was recently filled and had the same problem with the OPD valve stuck in the closed position. When I removed the hose assembly from the tank, a lot of pressure came out.

I removed the propane hose and opened the burners to the full position to try to bleed out any residual gas with no luck.

Could this be a defective hose regulator issue? If so, does a defective regulator cause the OPD valve to remain stuck closed?

Erik. can you "open" the knob on the propane tank while it is unhooked from the hose? If so, then it would seem there is an issue with the hose but I cannot imagine how the hose or connector would affect opening or closing of the tank valve.

My guess is it's already open if you had pressure. Ever think someone simply forgot to close it?

t0sG1c6.jpg

Yeah, definitely not in the open position. I literally hooked it up after it was filled at the propane station. Both tanks are still heavy too. To “Bruce”, no the valve will not open unconnected to the hose.

It’s so weird. It seems to coincidental for 2 tanks to have the same issue which led me to believe that it had something to do with the grill and not the tanks.

I think they are either turned toooo tight open or toooo tight closed. Just because there is no propane coming out with the tank valve open doesn't mean it isn't open. The OPD (Overflow Protection Device) on the tank is designed to cut off flow of propane if it senses a higher than normal flow of propane which it would if open without something connected to it. Try turning the knob to CLOSE, it may take some force to unstick it.

Blue rhino has a tank troubleshooting page. I’m sure these tips will work regardless of brand.

Given a problem with both tanks, I’m thinking either regulator on grill or a problem with how tanks were filled, if they were both filled at the same time.

Back