oops!! brisket all nighter --dum dum

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matt Goin

TVWBB Super Fan
Well i awoke this morning at 2:00 est to fire up the WSM for a midnight cook (okay 2 am cook). Started my chimmney, did the minion anaway she went. I awoke back at 8:00 to find the temp was at about 100 degrees and all the smoke wood was still smoke wood. It was wet on the ground so i know wegot a slight rain, but how could that have caused this.

Ansewer: It didnt, although all 3 bootm vents were about 75% open the top vent was 100% CLOSED!!

I have patte th coals and the fire is starting to heat up.. I also have some coals started in another chimmney to go in. Guess ill be eating late!!!!

I just hope that your meat does'nt taste really bitter. Having the top vent closed would have caused what smoke was building up to cool and drop back down onto the meat (creosote). It can make for some really nasty tasting stuff. My guess is it will be very bitter tasting.

Just something to think about. I'd hate to see you go thru a long cook and end up with something that is unetable.

Good Luck!
I hope it all turns out ok for you.

I'd say that would qualify as a FLAY . /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Hope it comes out OK for you.

I would worry less about creosote and taste than I would about the fact that the meat was between 40 and 140 degrees for over 6 hours-- the danger zone. /infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif

The Smoke gods were on my side!

No bitter taste, all was excellent!!!

1st brisket on the WSM and was excelent!!!

I'm looking forward to the 24-hour from now report. I also would be concerned about too much time in the /infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif DANGER ZONE.
sam

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back