Only pork butt i can find is injected...

Cesar

TVWBB Fan
Im going to do my first mr brown pork butt tomorrow and the only butts I can find are injected with 5% solution. I read to cut down on the salt in the rub but by how much? Also will it be a big difference in taste if it were just a regular butt. Ill probably stop by my local meat market tomorrow but thats all they have at wal-mart and albertsons.

The butt I purchased has the bone in and is 6.8lbs. Im hoping to have it done by 2-3pm Sunday so was going to put in on around 8pm Saturday. Does this sound about right. And thats with at least 1 hour of being wrapped in foil in a cooler. Since its only 1 butt should I put it on at 10 instead. Does less meat on the smoker take less time to cook or does it not matter as long as the smoker is at the right temp.

Thanks.

Well 5% is better than what i find here which is 10% or higher.
icon_eek.gif
Don't even get me started on the enhanced solution Bull Sh$t. Anywho the problem is this. That salt solution is throughout the Butt which in my experience with these enhanced for the worse Butts will lead to a Hammy tasting Butt. But since you said it's only 5% it might not be as bad, but that's just speculation on my part. Yes cut the salt for the rub by half. If that's all you can get, then you really don't have much choice. If you can find someone that has a Sam's club, Costco, or a BJ's membership and get the Butt there. You'll find that those places just sell them all natural. Costco tends to sell them boneless here. Sam's and BJ's 2 in a cryovac pack.
As far as the cook time figure on 1.5 hrs - 2 hrs per lb. then add your rest time. No 2 Butts are the same so it's hard to say how long it will take to cook.
icon_wink.gif

I would do everything possible to stay away from enhanced anything myself. They always seem to have a "hammy" taste to me. If that is the best you can do though it is better than the 10% to 12% you usually see. Maybe it wouldn't be as noticeable at only 5%. IMHO enhanced ribs always seem to be the worst.

I agree that inhanced meat is just wrong! Enhanced butts will work in a pinch but forget about ribs. I have been there and I was not happy at all with them. They enhance meat for people who do not know how to cook IMHO.

Whew, now I feel better. I did inject 2 enhanced shoulders last weekend and they turned out great. All was eaten and praised by the eaters. My thoughts were that it was real good in fact I would cook them again in a second if I couldnt find fresh shoulders or butts. Enhanced ribs, no chance.

Cesar, where do you live? It may be more expensive, but I may be able to point you to somewhere that has non enhansed butt, depending on where you live.

I live in El Paso TX. I went to a meat market by my work and they didnt have any at the moment so went to Wal-mart and Albertsons and they only had injected. There is a meat market by my house im going to stop by at in a little bit and a few other ones that are a little further. Will check those out as well if no luck.

SAM'S CLUB 6502: 7001 GATEWAY BLVD. WEST EL PASO , TX (915) 771-0004
SAM'S CLUB 8153: 7970 N. MESA EL PASO , TX (915) 585-2433
SAM'S CLUB 8280: 11360 PELLICANO DR. EL PASO , TX (915) 591-6688

Cool. We'll have to stop by more often. since its just three of us, wife daughter and I, a lot of food would spoil if we purchased in bulk. Except meat of course
icon_smile.gif

Thanks

Ask around at work. Ask friends & family to find someone who has a membership. I belong to BJ's wharehouse club just to get unmolested meat, and for the great prices. Butt's run in the $1.19 lb -$1.38 lb depending on the time of year.
icon_wink.gif

Back