Onion soup mix as brisket rub

ShawnW

TVWBB Member
Pretty simple, but I have used this as a rub when cooking brisket. My wife and friends seem to like the results.

When I was a kid many many moons ago my mom used OSM for a ton a things . Including burgers meatloafs and some kina chicken thing so I can't see how it wouldn't work ok as a rub or even a wet mop !I just prefer more flavor and I think I could be wrong it has a ton a salt ?

Mind telling me what was edited in my post and why?

Just so I am aware for future posting...

I used the OSM as a brine last night. Have the brisket sitting at 235 right now. We'll see how it comes out.

I'll tell you what onion soup mix works really well on. London broil. Take an LB, press onion soup mix into the meat (I use two packages of Lipton's onion soup mix). Put it in a dutch oven with a bunch of little red potatoes and carrots, then add about 1 cup each of water and red wine. Throw that sucker in the oven at 325 for a few hours...and man...the stuff just falls apart and is it ever good.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ShawnW:
The point came out perfect. The flat was a touch dry, but tender.

Any idea why that is? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Shawn,
The point in a brisket is much more marbled (and forgiving). When your cooking you want to look for when the flat is ready.
As a kid I couldn't figure out why I loved brisket only sometimes. I thought my aunt just stopped cooking it as well as she used to. As an adult I realized that I loved it if she cooked with the point.

I will still look for the point cut on cornbeef... cheaper and tastier IMO.

Back