One nervous Q'er

So, I volunteered, and my offer has been accepted. I'm smoking 6 butts for sandwiches to be sold at a school Fun Fair. It's always very crowded, and everyone has a ball. The date, wonderfully eough, is May 26.

My plan is to rub the six bone-out butts the evening of the 22nd, and let them sit in the fridge until about 6 pm on Thursday the 24th. Then I'll cook them for about 16 hours and they shold be ready to come off about sometime around noon on the 25th, Friday.

I can let them sit till Friday evening when I can pull them. Then Saturday morning I can sauce the meat and re-heat it.

There's a heap of folks counting on me, so, please, if you have any advice or think this plan is flawed, don't hesitate to say so.

Cheers,
M m m m michael

There are couple things you can do. 1. If they come off Friday morning, wrap each one in heavy foil, place them in a large cooler, lay a few thickly folded bath/beach towels over them, close lid and don't open agian until Friday evening. They'll still be pplenty hot to pull. 2. If you let them cool, they'll be hard to pull, in this case instead of pulling, just chop them. Either way they'll be great! Good Luck, let us know how it goes.

How do you plan to reheat?

Micheal,

Your plan will work fine. I have done several things similiar to this and I usually do mine onsite and pull part of the butts while everyone is watching, people are amazed at watching butts being smoked and pulled. Maybe do 4 ready to heat up Sat. morning and have the other 2 left to be pulled onsite. It is more work cooking onsite packing etc, and may not work for you at all. Your ideas should turn out great.

I done a BBQ sale for a church yard sale last year and done 16 butts. Like you said I done 8 of them at home on Thrusday night and reheated Sat. morning. I was able to cook in the parking lot since they were there setting up the yardsale stuff so I cooked the last eight friday afternoon and pulled Sat. morning after all the crowd started coming in, they were amazed and it helped sell more BBQ.

Let us know how it turns out.

Randy

It is not necessary to cooler the butts for many hours after cooking if you're going to pull and reheat. For food safety reasons it is best to cool fairly quickly after the initial rest. See this post for details on that. Good lcuk with your cook and have fun at the fair.

I would pull them earlier rather than later. Because what D Jennings said and what Kevin says. Pulling would actually aid in what Kevin talks about. You shred it up when it is hot and it pulls easy and you throw it on a sheet pan and spread it out it cools really fast.

I have a BBQ shack I open on the weekends and I smoke the butts and brisket thursday evening and take them off usually around noon on friday. I put them into a cooler and when I get off work I go back and pull them and throw it in the refrigerator. I have seperated the meat by the muscle groups and that helps but shreding before cooling is a major help. all the way around.

Back