One more question

Phil R.

TVWBB All-Star
My new (well, new *used*) WSM was missing the bottom grate. I got inpatient today and bought the 18" grate at Home Depot to see if it would fit in the lower rack. It does, except for one thing: I need to remove the bottom screws that fasten the flanges on...all four of them. No problem. But, I won't be able to remove the bottom grate without unscrewing them again, which would be kind of impossible to do if the unit is hot.

My question is: How often, durin the cooking process, does one need to remove the bottom food grate? At all? I don't mind a little hassle when cleaning, but don't want any problems when I'm actually cooking.

Should I return the grate to home depot?

Phil

You won't be able to remove the water pan, either. You could try reversing the screws, putting the nuts on the outside. But, if you purchased a charcoal grate to use as a cooking grate, I would recommend against it-- it's metal is not for food contact. Ordering an actual replacement grate from Weber would solve both problems.

Phil R.,
Oh my, not the charcoal grate. Patience is a virtue, Phil. You got the WSM at such a steal, just order a new grate from Weber (or your local Weber retailer). You can afford it and the wait. ;-)
Phil D.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Doug D:
You won't be able to remove the water pan, either. You could try reversing the screws, putting the nuts on the outside. But, if you purchased a charcoal grate to use as a cooking grate, I would recommend against it-- it's metal is not for food contact. Ordering an actual replacement grate from Weber would solve both problems. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I didn't think of not being able to remove the water pan. Looks like it's going back to home depot.

It was, actually, a cooking grate and not meant for charcoal (I had the same health concerns). But, it fits perfectly in the top rack. I believe the measurments on the packaging are 18.5"...although the grate itself has an outside diameter of 17.5".

The grate with the handles for the 18-1/2" kettles is the same part as the WSM's top grate.

Back