One burner won't stay lit on LOW. Genesis 1000XL

David Kitterman

Today I'm asking for insight on why the rear burner will not stay lit on LOW. It's good @ 6 o'clock, but just a bit less & out. Other 2 burners have no problem in LOW. Adjusting shutter has no effect. Cleaned and re-lubed the valves. Took the valve apart to make sure no grease got in the very small LOW orifice. Flame definitely lower than the front burner though. A relative has a slightly older 1000 with the same issue but on the front burner.

I've owned an '86 Genesis 2, 2000 Genesis Gold C and now this '99 1000. I've never experienced this issue until now.

Did you look into other things? Try another tank, possibly another regulator? Also remove the orifices from the valves. Clean them well, check for any obstructions between the orifice and the valve spool. Had similar thing happen on my first Genesis and on my Wolf

Try swapping the front and rear burners. If the problem doesn't follow the burner, then you can rule that out. If it does follow the burner, then you have the problem isolated.
You could also have debris or insect webs inside the manifold partially blocking the third valve.

Check the valve ports again
I had similar problem after cleaning and lubricating my valves but couldn’t see obstruction - finally cleared by rodding the port with welding tip cleaner

Back