On V7. Do I have to go to V8 then to V9 or straight to v9?

MattBarga

I've been away for a few months enjoying BBQing. I've come back to find a couple of SW updates, and want to update my HM 4.0.

Do I have to update to v8 before I update to v9?

I tried following the instructions for the v9 upgrade, but when I go to System --> Backup, the flash new firmware on the bottom says 'Sorry, there is no sysupgrade support present, a new firmware image must be flashed manually. Please refer to the OpenWrt wiki for device specific install instructions.' The only option I look to have is to Generate Archive or restore backup. Should I use one of those?

Once you help me through that one, where do I find the file? Do I update from local machine, online repository, or bundled firmware in ... ?

And one final question, will I lose all my settings (WiFi, Alarms, minor changes to Heatermeter HTML)?

THanks so much! Sorry for not being the most well versed IT/SW guy trying to have the best time BBQing!

Matt

You should be able to go straight from v7 to v9, or at least that's how it is designed to work. The sysupgrade support wasn't included until v8 and not working very well until v9, so you'll have to do it manually. That is, pull the SD card and flash it with Win32DiskImager again.

Settings, _should_ be retained from v7, which had the restore functionality, but I'm not sure how well it worked back then. I'd recommend getting a backup from the system (using that page you were on) then being prepared to restore it after the install. v9 has the ethernet set to DHCP by default though, so just wait for it to boot up and look for the IP address on the HeaterMeter display. Also you'll need to flash the latest AVR firmware once it boots, using the "From online repository" option on the AVR firmware page.

Back