On a whim I just ordered the CyberQ Wifi

Tim W.

I don't really know why. My old competitor seems to keep on working but I think I just wanted a new toy.

My excuse to myself.... I'm going to be cooking butts over brisket for my parents 50th Ani and I want to make sure things turn out right and I can run around doing odds and ends during the cook. Cant do that with the old fashioned knobs and stuff.

I considered the stoker but since I can still use the pitviper 10 and adapter this is almost half the price (about $300 less than what it would take me to go stoker wifi).

I'm looking forward to this. I do hope someone does something like Amir does for the stoker and comes up with more robust software....

That's an expensive whim.

I saw they published some kind of API so people can write 3rd party apps. It would be fun to write something for the iPad to run it but I somehow doubt that I'd ever make enough to cover the cost of the unit, let alone development time.

I just ordered mine too. I've been on the fence for awhile about which to get but for some reason I really think I will like the Cyber Q wifi...

Price for the unit with 3 food probes was definitely a factor in my decision.

A $300 whim but everyone skipped my birthday this year
icon_frown.gif

Of course since I was in San Juan at the time I suppose they had an excuse.

I've had great luck with a competitor/maverick combinaiton but am looiking forward to one unit with all the probes and having access via my iphone.

And I will still have the competitor as a back up.

I like reading about the stoker in here and would go that route but the guru is half the price in my case, the guru has been rock solid, and the folks there provide great customer service. No reason to change my loyalty (and if I want to run two pits I guess I have to run two units but I've gone nearly a decade with one pit and don't see than changing much)

Mine got here and I've been playing around with it. It works pretty well in Ad Hoc (direct wifi connection to one Iphone or computer etc...) but setting it up to a linksys router for port forwarding has been problematic for me.

BBQ Guru customer service isn't much help either. They include screen prints to set up on a verizon router but its entirely different than my Linksys. Thinking they were likely putting out some instruction for Linksys (I'd guess one of the most common routers) I emailed them to see if they had any additional advice.

The response:

Unfortunately, there are too many providers/routers/etc out there for us to have guides for all of them. If you need help with your specific router, we recommend you contact your router manufacturer directly.

Please contact us with any additional questions.
Thanks and have a great weekend!

I get it they are BBQ folks not a tech help desk but this is their product. I'll give it another go this evening. I'm not going to settle for the adhoc mode.

Originally posted by Tim W.:
I don't really know why. My old competitor seems to keep on working but I think I just wanted a new toy.

My excuse to myself.... I'm going to be cooking butts over brisket for my parents 50th Ani and I want to make sure things turn out right and I can run around doing odds and ends during the cook. Cant do that with the old fashioned knobs and stuff.

I considered the stoker but since I can still use the pitviper 10 and adapter this is almost half the price (about $300 less than what it would take me to go stoker wifi).

I'm looking forward to this. I do hope someone does something like Amir does for the stoker and comes up with more robust software....

Here's something that might work for you....App

I got to play with mine Wednesday before I left on a trip the next day. Maybe this weekend I can figure it out. Mine is an ATnT DSL 208WIRE modem so I don't have any good details either.

But I found this link that helped a lot.
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/fo...wthread.php?t=135197

Also a YouTube video about setting up port forwarding for a video recorder helped.
I can't seem to get the link but it was vitek: port forwarding basics on an AT&T& 2wire modem.

Search for BBQ guru and infrastructure also yealded some results for help with the email functions.

Hope this helps some. I'm getting an education in networking trying to figure it out.

Thanks for the links. It seems to be working well.

I had to monkey with the linksys router a bit then call my isp (they never did get things right on their end).

In the end I pinged someone on a cigar smoking forum and they were the most help (along with the links you guys gave).

All is well.

Pretty cool gadget.

I was only home for one day so I didn't get a full test run but...

I was able to change it to infrastructure mode easily. I then looked at my router page and found it's local IP address. Typed it in the browser bar and presto it was available to any computer on my network..

I decided against port forwarding as I really not plan on leaving it and needing to see it from work or the grocery store.

I also loaded the new windows program to control and log it. It doesn't seem to have a name yet but the icon on my desktop just says CyberQ Wifi and is available at wedonet.net. It works great and logs the entire cook via infrastructure or adhoc modes. It also worked great.

Temperature probes checked out right on.

I'm very happy with the purchase so far.

Scott, try building a HeaterMeter for under $150: http://tvwbb.com/forumdisplay.php?85-LinkMeter-v2-Homebrew-BBQ-Controller. I love it! Lots of support there as well.

I had previously taken a look at that, and when I saw the schematics and what was involved in building it, I had a not-so-pleasant flashback to Junior High School electric shop. I took that as a sign that it was beyond my mediocre DIY electronic skills. I'm either going to get the CyberQ or the Stoker (probably the CyberQ).

Thanks!

Could you tell me exactly how you connect to your Linksys? I tried everything I know how to do, but can't seem to find the correct combination.

Back