Older Genesis hoods - To Easy Off or not to Easy Off. That is the question!

JonathanF

Hey there, Weber fans. I'm new to the site, but I've been a Genesis guy since the very beginning of the grills. I was working for an Ace dealer when the Genesis grills first hit the market and we became a big player really fast. Sometimes I wonder how many of those things we sold and how many I helped assemble! Fast forward thirty-three or thirty-four years and one of those early grills has found its way back to me. It's a Genesis 1000 that's been garage kept its entire life and there's literally no rust on the frame at all. All of the original flavorizer bars are still in good shape, as are the grates. The only hard evidence of its having been used regularly is the grease and smoke grime that's built up on the hood - inside and out. I know how to clean the inside, but the buildup of carbolized gunk on the hood has me a little perplexed. I've read about trying Simple Green, though I'm not a big fan. Do any of you folks who've done this before have any recommendations about using oven cleaner on the red porcelain? Oven's are all porcelain coated and that's what works best on those. Is it the same with a Genesis hood?? Of course I know what oven cleaner could do the metal hood frame and the Weber badge, but I'm talking strictly the porcelain coated surface. Any feedback or suggestions would be great!

You’ve made the right step coming here. In all honesty, you’ll find better, in-depth discussions by searching previous threads and posts than you’ll get here on a new thread and I don’t intend that to sound any other way than genuinely trying to help. This forum is a wealth of information. Make sure to devour as much as you can on the topic by using the search function rather than just solely relying on any comments that might follow.

Welcome from Iowa. Sounds like you have a grill that has come full circle to you. Good luck on the restoration. Show some photos along the way.

I understand floor models, but I don't see the benefit of pre-assembling grills for customers. A Genesis only takes a couple of minutes to put together anyway, and when the store does it for you, you have to figure out how to get the whole thing home safely.

The thing to remember is that enamel is GLASS! Flat razor blade scraping, 4x0 steel wool will do no damage unless you drive the stuff with a Kenworth! Soak with simple green, scrape, repeat keeping the blade FLAT, the point can dig in and damage the smooth surface. I use steel wool and Windex as a final scrub then polish with paper towel. There are lots of threads on this, dig a little and you will figure out what to do.

I understand floor models, but I don't see the benefit of pre-assembling grills for customers. A Genesis only takes a couple of minutes to put together anyway, and when the store does it for you, you have to figure out how to get the whole thing home safely.
Lots of those places used to deliver them, ACE still does! Having someone assemble, deliver and set up means you can stop for steaks on the way home and not be slowed by having to put it together! Better use of time in my mind!

Two of the local retailers include setup and delivery on anything over $500.

Unfortunately they assembled mine incorrectly and I had to fix it but it didn't stop me from cooking on it the day it arrived.

Welcome Jonathan, it sounds like you found yourself a really nice grill. I've cleaned up a few lids using nothing more than fine steel wool, a razor blade scraper, and simple green. The inside obviously takes a lot more work than the outside. I don't think oven cleaner is worth the mess or risk of removing paint from the end caps. Remember to remove the lid from the grill before doing anything to it.

Hey there, Weber fans. I'm new to the site, but I've been a Genesis guy since the very beginning of the grills. I was working for an Ace dealer when the Genesis grills first hit the market and we became a big player really fast. Sometimes I wonder how many of those things we sold and how many I helped assemble! Fast forward thirty-three or thirty-four years and one of those early grills has found its way back to me. It's a Genesis 1000 that's been garage kept its entire life and there's literally no rust on the frame at all. All of the original flavorizer bars are still in good shape, as are the grates. The only hard evidence of its having been used regularly is the grease and smoke grime that's built up on the hood - inside and out. I know how to clean the inside, but the buildup of carbolized gunk on the hood has me a little perplexed. I've read about trying Simple Green, though I'm not a big fan. Do any of you folks who've done this before have any recommendations about using oven cleaner on the red porcelain? Oven's are all porcelain coated and that's what works best on those. Is it the same with a Genesis hood?? Of course I know what oven cleaner could do the metal hood frame and the Weber badge, but I'm talking strictly the porcelain coated surface. Any feedback or suggestions would be great!
It requires a little elbow grease to get them clean.

Remove or mask off the Weber decal.

Before using any easy off use a razor decal scraper to scrap off the heavy carbon on the porcelain enamel surface.

Once the heavy stuff is off apply easy off to remove the layer of film on the porcelain enamel. Stay away from the painted aluminum endcap surfaces.

Clean up with 0000 steel wool and flood the lid with water to wash out the easy off residue

Good advice.

Outside lid enamel use razor and 0000 steel wool. With enough elbow grease, it will look like new.

Razor scraping the inside of the lid is one of the most satisfying tasks you’ll ever do. The carbon will peel off in long strips revealing smooth glass underneath.

Back