Old Weber Grill - Any idea?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Isaac S

I have an old weber grill from the early 70's still in the original box. I picked it up at a yard sale for $8.00

Does anyone have an idea of the actual model of this or value?

Thanks so much!

28bf9g4.jpg

sevhhi.jpg

20geiza.jpg

2nrivpz.jpg

xlclfn.jpg

oem8i.jpg

2mfdcuo.jpg

Looks like a very nice BBQ Kettle.

I have an 18" model in the basement that I bought off of ebay.

As far as the value, its worth whatever value you place on it.

My nephew found one one of these - a 1979 model - on the side of the road and picked it up. I was going to give him all the parts to update it and when I saw it was a BBQ Kettle, with the three vents, I traded him a One Touch Gold for it because I want to use the BBQ Kettle as the base for my Cajun Bandit smoker conversion - its easier to control the temps with three bottom vents instead of one.

My friend Steve at the lake picked us up one last year off of CL for $10, in good shape, but definitely not the NIB beauty you found.

Congratulations on a fabulous find.

Pat

That is a great find!!

I wouldn't think it has much additional value as a colllectable, but I've been amazed in the past at what people will pay for.

But on its own, it's got to be worth $80-$100--heck, I'd pay $80 for it.

Awesome find! I have 2 really old Smokey Joes, one has the black with white speckle finish inside and out, the second has the black w/ white speckles inside, but brown on the outside. Interesting to see this in the 70s.

No real set value, to most people it is just an old Weber grill. Current 18" grills are approximately $75 for Silver, $140 for Gold versions.

However, toss it on eBay, post the link here, and let us collectors have a go at it. I, for one, would bid and pay quite a bit for it. Some rare or really nice pieces have gone for hundreds up to a thousand dollars or so.

Jeff,

Just out of curiosity: it looks like you're a collector. I assume you're not cooking on all those? Is there a market for Weber collectibles?

Do you do anything with these, or are they sitting in their boxes?

Please know this is not a knock in any way--I freely admit I don't have the "collector" gene. Again, it's just curiosity.

I actually cook on three of full size ones. The rest aren't actually still in the box...I kept the boxes, but they are new. They are just a little collection I display in the house. I know for a fact I'm not the only one that collects them...right Doug ep?? Its just a fun hobby, but I admit I really have no more room for more. I recently found a new red 22" Mastertouch from 99 that IS still in the box. I haven't assembled it because I have no room at the moment. I even thought about putting it on ebay but would hate to see it go cause its so rare in that condition. I have a 96 red Mastertouch thats in great shape that I use all the time. To answer your question, there certainly is a market out there for older grills, especially the colored ones! And it wouldn't surprise me to see that little brown one go for well over 100.00!

Maybe it's just me, but I think all of us on the board here would be the only ones to pay the big money for the kettle featured on this thread. No one should buy it from him for the money he's looking for so he's forced to keep it and learn how to grill Weber style.
icon_smile.gif
I wish someone would have ripped $100 out from under my nose years ago and shoved a Weber there instead.
icon_smile.gif

Well Justin, we really don't know at this point how much he's looking for, but we are soon to find out! And another thing Justin...I think you are spoiled by the utter disgusting price you got your 2 new Simpsons grills for! Ive seen the big Simpsons grills go on ebay from 225 to 330. Does my jealousy and envy show at all?
icon_smile.gif
I think you got what may be the "steal of the year" for those 2 grills new like that. That would be an interesting topic heading to keep open on this forum. "Craigslist Steals of the Year" And then have some sort of vote for all the forum members to decide who got away with the best thievery!

Justin, I see no problem with what Isaac is doing. He mentioned it here, where there are many Weber collectors. He stated as fact that he was able to get it for $8 at a yard sale. He listed on eBay, with a starting bid of $.99, as low as it will go, instead of at a very high starting bid of say $50 or $100. He listed it with no reserve of say $50 or $100.

As such, he has merely marketed it here on TVWB to us collectors, and has done a straight up job of starting it low, and leaving it open ended for the highest bidder.

Before you signed up, in fall 2008, some guy put a WSM model 1880 on eBay. The 1880 is the 14.5" version - made only in 1980 and 1981. Very rare, and very very highly sought after by collectors, including myself. Neither the seller nor the buyer really knew what the item was, or that it could have a really high value. However, the seller put a Buy It Now price of about $20, and of course it sold to TVWB user Davidd about 20 minutes after it was listed. Too bad it was buy it now, because the bidding would have gone into the hundreds for such a rare piece. Davidd ended up returning it to Weber HQ, in exchange for a new 18.5" WSM, which is what he really wanted. Weber was thrilled, and said this was the first 1880 they had received back.

As for me, I think this really old stuff is really cool. However, I have no interest in a Simpson's grill, and would not pay any premium for one. I know a guy who has one, and he just grills on it like its a normal kettle.

I am willing to pay quite a bit for this 35 year old SJ, and will keep it parked in my garage for the another 35 years or longer. We will find out if someone else is willing to pay more than myself. Jeff K - go easy on me!

Better he gets enough money from this to go buy a new model Weber, and learns how to use it properly.

I've been reading the comments on the auction. I posted this on here because I truly have no idea of the value or information on the Weber - you guys would know better than me. And as Doug posted it's a no reserve.

I have an older Char-Broil Charcoal Smoker I picked up at a yard sale that I've suffered with and plan on picking up a 18.5" WSM - I think it'll do a better job!

Wow, $307.98! Congratulations! I really wanted it, but my bid wasn't nearly that high.

plan on picking up a 18.5" WSM
- that is a great idea. While your at it, buy a Performer also to complete your set.

BTW, welcome to the board, and I really hope you become an active member.

Hey Isaac
I was wondering if the person that bought your grill may have been from Denmark or anywhere else in Europe? I know for a fact there are a lot of them across the pond willing to drop the cash down for these grills!

Wow, $307 is a chunk of change.
icon_smile.gif
. My comment was merely saying that to own a Weber is to love a Weber and that the money he got wouldn't compare to his lifelong enjoyment of a Weber kettle. If his intentions are to join the board, then his post made sense, but there are dozens of posts about older kettles that could be read just as easily without having to sign up which takes Chris A's time, our time/excitement, as well as the site's bandwidth.

Isaac, I apologize for assuming that you just wanted to find what you needed and never come back. I am also picking up a WSM soon. There's a WSM section here on the board that you could read for a week and not even scratch the surface. So again, my apologies, and welcome!

Jeff, as far as my Simpson's grills, I've already used the 22" Gold as well as my Performer for our neighborhood block party in the fall. Each had about 100 dogs and 100 burgers cooked on them between the two. I am going to use the SJS this summer at the beach too. They are both rare, but I cant stand the thought of them not getting used. I would have paid $75 for a black 22" OTG, so the deal was too good to pass up. I'll trade you it for a Red Mastertouch though.
icon_smile.gif

Originally posted by Isaac S:
I have an old weber grill from the early 70's still in the original box. I picked it up at a yard sale for $8.00

Does anyone have an idea of the actual model of this or value?

Thanks so much!

28bf9g4.jpg

sevhhi.jpg

20geiza.jpg

2nrivpz.jpg

xlclfn.jpg

oem8i.jpg

2mfdcuo.jpg

Looking at the 6th picture, it shows the bottom of the kettle. Where are the slots for the legs? How were they attached?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back