Old school savory meatloaf

Brett-EDH

TVWBB Hall of Fame
Haven’t made this in many, many years. Was in the mood for an old classic. 50/50 chuck and pork shoulder, home ground.

Whipped up some russet mashers and a beef stock gravy. Just missing the snow as we used to eat this after skiing a full day.

1703557822694.jpeg

1703559292426.jpeg

1703557877295.jpeg

1703557889098.jpeg

1703557905123.jpeg

Last edited:
Can you tell us about the gravy a little bit
Beef concentrate (better than bullion brand) made to less than full strength. I used 4 cups of water for this cook. A few pats of unsalted butter, some black pepper and then added a cornstarch slurry. Around 1/4 cup cornstarch hydrated with cold water and then drizzled into the heated soup. Adjust gravy to desired texture. Adjust flavor to desired flavor. I added a teaspoon of sugar as the bullion is sometimes salty. Finished with shiitake mushroom powder. The powder is made from dried shiitakes I have from the Asian grocer. You must remove the stems before putting the mushroom caps in a spice grinder. Grind till it’s powder. Sprinkle the mushroom powder into the gravy which adds a hint of mushroom flavor. Mushrooms have natural MSG which makes them a flavor booster.

Back