Old Dog New Tricks...New K

Steve Petrone

TVWBB Platinum Member
First cook with new K. 1/4 chimney was on fire in 8 minutes! Wow. 4 butts just under 40 lbs.
Full std. water pan. In 15 minutes got to 200*.
Closed vents to 25%. Hanging around 207* Will give it 15 minutes to see if it climbs.

That's better ..now at 217*...224*

Extremely stable overnight. 224-214. Stirred at 10 hours-did not seem to be much charcoal left.
12 hours still holding temp very stable.

Very little fuel left. Almost filled charcoal ring to level. I left the middle and top sections off to "allow the new fuel to gass off". Whatever that means...I do not like the initial smoke smells when adding alot of charcoal. Tho I will say it did NOT smell as bad as the Royal Oak did last cook.

So where are we with new K?
#1 very fast start up
#2 very stable cook
#3 seem to be using alot of fuel

#3 is subjective but I do not remember using 90% of a bag of K to do a cook. Is it cause I am cooking 40 lbs. of meat-possible. I have not added any water to conserve fuel.

I agree with everything you said, but I didnt use much more fuel if any on an all nighter at a comp last weekend. Im satisfied with New K for low n slow but recently have been trying Nature Glo and like that for grilling.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dale Perry:
Im satisfied with New K for low n slow but recently have been trying Nature Glo and like that for grilling. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
At one time, a company called Hickory Specialties in TN, made both Nature Glo and Kroger brand charcoal.
I have seen posts that indicated that Royal Oak bought Hickory Specialties, and now both NG and Kroger are repackaged RO.
Anyone know if there is any truth to this?
Who makes Kroger charcoal? I like it pretty well, actually.

Back