ok now to set up remotley

greg nester

ok i would like to set up for remote use now.....is this gonna be hard?...do i need more equipment?..i have a cable modem that runs into my wireless router....2 laptops run wirelessly off of this

It isn't hard and you won't need more equipment. It will require configuration changes in your router though. You will need to open a virtual hole in your router so that the Stoker can be accessed from the internet. See this document for Rock's explanation.

This will allow you to run the Stoker's web interface from any computer in the world but this will not allow you to run StokerLog remotely. For that, you need something like LogMeIn.com or Remote Desktop both of which are options for accessing your home computer from the internet. To use these, one of your laptops would need to be at home and connected to the Stoker so that the remote computer can connect. In this case, StokerLog would be actually running on the home computer and you would be simply controlling it remotely.

I don't know; I don't use an iPhone. LogMeIn works with IE and FireFox (and I presume Safari) but I don't know the limitations on the iPhone web browser... Good question for customer support at LogMeIn. It's free so give it a try and let us know.

Ken Brown's excellent Stoker Timers program will send an email displaying all the Stoker temperature probes' readings on a frequency you determine (every x minutes). You will need to provide the email address for your phone's text messaging service. For example, if you have an AT&T cell phone with a phone number of (123) 555-1212, emails sent to 1235551212@txt.att.net will be received on your phone as a text message. Check with your mobile phone provider to find your phone's text email address.

Stoker Timers can be downloaded here. It is pretty simple to setup and use as well. It can be used alongside StokerLog and the normal Stoker web server. Stoker Timers has its own web browser as well so you can view the Stoker's web page directly within Stoker Timers.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tom Burrus:
This will allow you to run the Stoker's web interface from any computer in the world but this will not allow you to run StokerLog remotely. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Actually, you can run stokerlog remotely just the same. Simply check the "HTTP only" box. When you do this, stoker will use the same port as the browser and give you almost full functionality.

What you won't get is the faster response that local version gets through the special port in stoker. Updates will take 7-8 seconds instead of once or twice a second. But that is still faster than the web interface and of course, you have graphing and all the other features of stokerlog.

Using the above method, you can also run multiple copies of stokerlog. For your in-home version, run it as it is now. For all the other versions, check the HTTP box and you are good to go.

Just noting, stokerlog also has text messaging capabilities although some people have reported issues with it. Try it and see if it works. Once of the bonus points is that stokerlog can also email you the graph so that you have the full picture, pun intended
icon_smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Amir:
Just noting, stokerlog also has text messaging capabilities although some people have reported issues with it. Try it and see if it works. Once of the bonus points is that stokerlog can also email you the graph so that you have the full picture, pun intended
icon_smile.gif
. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Amir,

I just used Stokerlog for the first time via my old Gateway laptop, which I dusted off for that express purpose. I've been using my Macbook and an Airport Express, and I decided I wanted more than the basic spreadsheet functionality. After last night, Stokerlog is a tool I will never be without again (willingly, at least). Thanks to the graph, I was able to see trend data on the stability of my WSM. As my smoker temp swings increased in frequency and amplitude, I checked the charcoal ring and found the briquettes were not evenly distributed. I smoothed them out, and voila, back to plus or minus 2F.

Two questions: can you tell me a bit about the lid open function? And is it possible to substitute other music for the application alarms? The mind boggles with the possibilities there......

ok how do i get stoker log to email me the graph?...i just started my test run with the stoker..about an hour in..is it to late to do this or can i set it up now?

oh....also wanted to ask about the fuel usage on stokerlog..is this very accurate?..i wonder how it could be...it has no idea how much fuel i have in there

ok now another question...while i was running stoker log..i got an error message...so i had to restart stoker log.....i wnt to have the whole entire graph of my test run ...any way for to get this?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Amir:
icon_smile.gif
. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Amir, thanks for clarifying the HTML option. It is not an option that I have used and I forgot about it.

Also, I had posted (and subsequently deleted) earlier about the text message function in StokerLog. I tried the feature again and it does indeed send text messages; the only problem is the subject line consists of "?utf=8B?UHjvYmUoRm9v" and so on. No real readable words on the subject line but the body of the text reads just fine (tried it with simulator).

As I have said before, thank you for providing your expertise and programming skills. It is much appreciated!

ok here is the graph so far....the first graph seems to be lost..i had to restart stokerlog and lost it....this graph is really about 6 hours in so far...man am i ever pleased with this stoker...and amir what an awesome program u have developed for us bbqing hillbillies..ur the greatest!
stoker6hrs.jpg

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by greg nester:
ok how do i get stoker log to email me the graph?...i just started my test run with the stoker..about an hour in..is it to late to do this or can i set it up now? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
It should all be in the help file.

But briefly, you go to "Settings->Mail Settings" and configure it. Here is the wording from the help file:

"StokerLog now has the ability to send emails on regular intervals on the status of the cook and alarms. Simply configure the parameters in the Mail settings and be sure to test them using the button in that dialog box. Once there, then check the box next to Start button called “Enable Email Logging.” Email logs are then sent according to the Email Frequency. So if you set that number to 10, you get a message once every 10 minutes. The program is also capable of optionally capturing a copy of the graph, compressing it in JPEG to make it smaller, and sending it off along with the probe text data. The frequency of this is set in the “Graph Frequency” field. If you set it to 1, then you will get the graph with every email. If you set it to 2, then you get it every other time. If set to 4, the one out of four times and so on."

You can play with stokerlog without stoker or cooking anything. Simply use the "Simulation" mode as was just suggested. There is also a test feature to make sure emails work in the above settings dialog.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by greg nester:
oh....also wanted to ask about the fuel usage on stokerlog..is this very accurate?..i wonder how it could be...it has no idea how much fuel i have in there </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Well, there is an undocumented feature in stoker where the temp probe, using infrared scanning technology, is able to see how much charcoal you have in your smoker and I use that to figure the fuel usage.

NOT!
icon_biggrin.gif

The logic is rather simple. I am able to compute what percentage of time the fan is on. The fuel usage is just that percentage. It is assumed that the more the fan runs, the more fuel you probably are using relative to other cooks with same vent setting.

ok now another question...while i was running stoker log..i got an error message...so i had to restart stoker log.....i wnt to have the whole entire graph of my test run ...any way for to get this? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Unfortunately not. If you restart stokerlog, you lose the graph. However, if you don't restart the program but simply restart capturing data by hitting the start/stop button, you can preserve the old data by holding Control or Shift key (sorry, forget which
icon_smile.gif
) the second time around.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Two questions: can you tell me a bit about the lid open function? And is it possible to substitute other music for the application alarms? The mind boggles with the possibilities there...... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Lid open logic is rather simple and programmable. Stokerlog monitors the temprature drop and if it is over X degrees/second, it temporarily lowers the target temp to a low number so that the fan will no longer run. After five minutes, it resets it back to what you had it. The temp drop can be configured in Advanced settings.

And yes, you can put any music file you like for the alarms conditions. Simply go to "Settings->Alarm..." and put in your favorite .mp3 or .wma file. If the Windows Media Player can play the file, you can put it here.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Two questions: can you tell me a bit about the lid open function? And is it possible to substitute other music for the application alarms? The mind boggles with the possibilities there...... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Lid open logic is rather simple and programmable. Stokerlog monitors the temprature drop and if it is over X degrees/second, it temporarily lowers the target temp to a low number so that the fan will no longer run. After five minutes, it resets it back to what you had it. The temp drop can be configured in Advanced settings.

And yes, you can put any music file you like for the alarms conditions. Simply go to "Settings->Alarm..." and put in your favorite .mp3 or .wma file. If the Windows Media Player can play the file, you can put it here. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Excellent. Now I won't have to fumble around for that "turn blower off for five minutes" switch on the Stoker controller anymore.

Back