Oh my, Meatloaf !

Steve Petrone

TVWBB Platinum Member
Finnaly, made a very good meatloaf. A little reading and a little experience yields much better loaf. Three pounds of ground meat formed into two 'logs' took 2 hours at 275. The fuel was a layer or so of left over coals and 2/3's of a charcoal starter of new kingsford. There were perhaps two small leftover chucks of hickory. They were small chunks.

Chris reccomends 325-375 for a cook temp. I agree that 325 would probably been better.
165 target temp yielded very moist meat.

Using less smoke and adding a good glaze kicked this meatloaf up a notch. I can't wait for those leftover sandwiches. See the recipe in beef.

Sounds good Steve. I will have to check the recipe forum.

I made a meat loaf for a party for the 4th. I can't say how the leftover sandwichs were as there was no leftovers. I used pretty much chris's recipe. except all ground beef. I also added a medium onion instead of using onion powder. I was reading somewhere about a killer hamburger that had onions in it and claimed it kept the meat from drying out. So I thought I would try it. It was really good. I have not had a dry meatloaf yet but there was something different about it. Very tasty. I recieved many compliments on it. One person said it was the best meatloaf that he has ever eaten.

I mix mine in a tupperware bowl that is approx. 10 in diameter then flatten out the loaf in the bowl. I drop the meat out of the bowl onto a small cooling rack that goes over a pizza pan to catch the grease. Loaf ends up being about 3 inches thick. Lots of smoke ring.
wsmsmile8gm.gif

Did a meatloaf a few weeks ago for Father's Day, couldn't believe how good it was. I'm a little embarassed to say it, but Dad and I wiped out a 3 lb meatloaf in about 30 minutes. Tweaked the recipe a bit, and used a different sort of glaze, but the results were unreal. One of the tastiest cooks off of the WSM to date.....

Meatloaf is one of my favorite things to make on the WSM. I always tell my friends who buy the smoker to amke it one of their first five cooks.

Oh John, I'm embarrassed to say that it is normal behavior around this house on a daily basis! Don't feel so bad!

Back