Office Birthday Cook

Tony Hunter

TVWBB Pro
Sorry everyone, my digital camera is broken and I don't have pictures right now. I plan to fix that soon though.

A few weeks ago, one of my co-workers in another department asked if I would cater their August birthday lunch for 20 people. Of course I accepted. There have been great things said about my cooking in the office and I really appreciate it when I am approached to do a gig.

The menu was pulled pork, spareribs w/tips, baked beans and potato salad. Everything came out great! I cooked the ribs without foiling for 7 hours over hickory wood. The 9 lb. butt cooked for 12 hours to an internal temp of 205. Both meats went on the WSM at 6:30 PM on Thursday evening. The ribs were done at 1:30 AM. I took them off the smoker foiled them and put them in my GE roaster over which was set at 140*. The butt got done at 6:30 AM on the nose! It was almost falling apart! I wrapped it in foil and put it in the GE too. I cooked the baked beans and potato salad on Thursday night so they were waiting in the wings.

Friday, I brought everything to the office. The meat was still in the GE at 140*, the baked beans were holding hot in the cooler covered with towels and the potato salad went into the break rooom fridge.

At 11:30 AM I pulled the pork (the lunch was at noon) and you could smell it out into the hallways and the starewells! People were hungry everywhere! I left the birthday people to themselves after taking a plate for myself and they had a great time. In fact, there was nothing left! Nothing! Some people did take plates home with them but the coordinator of the event has washed all my equipment and had it ready for me to pick up. She did not have to do that - I thought that was very nice of her.

Now they are asking about me doing a thanksgiving cook with smoked turkey. My head is so big now it is about to explode!
icon_smile.gif
Everyone had a great time with good food and I got a lot of good word of mouth advertising, a little pocket change for myself and the opportunity to make my friends really happy!

Tony,

Question....if the ribs stayed foiled that long at 140....did the meat still have bite quality?

Meaning that the meat was still stuck to the bone when eating.

Just curious, and congratulations too.

Craig,

The ribs were excellent! Not too fall-off-the-bone-ish either. The meat pulled away clean from the bone but not over cooked at all. I had that concern the first time I tried using my GE as warmer but with the setting 140, I have found thats all it does is warm and keep the meat at an acceptable, healthy temperature.

Tony

Tony, a bean suggestion - after the ribs are done, put the butts on the top rack and the beans below them.

PORK FAT GOOD!!!
icon_biggrin.gif

Tony, Congrats on a great event! I'm getting hungry just imagining the smells you described.

Just a quick question... what is the model number of the GE Roaster? I've looked at a few roasters, but many don't have much on the low end of temp.

Thanks!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ed Dekleva:
Tony, Congrats on a great event! I'm getting hungry just imagining the smells you described.

Just a quick question... what is the model number of the GE Roaster? I've looked at a few roasters, but many don't have much on the low end of temp.

Thanks! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ed,

I dont see a model number but the Wal-Mart item stock number is 168962. The temp gauge on mine goes for 0* to 150* then ticks marks every 50* after that. I always set mine just below the 150* mark.

Great job Tony. Makes me hungry reading about it and give your coordinator a big hand for cleaning. I am still in the process of cleaning up from Ribberfest in Madison yesterday. Keep it up.

Paul
Hickory Flats BBQ
Versailles, IN

Paul, How did you do?<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Paul Everman:
Great job Tony. Makes me hungry reading about it and give your coordinator a big hand for cleaning. I am still in the process of cleaning up from Ribberfest in Madison yesterday. Keep it up.

Paul
Hickory Flats BBQ
Versailles, IN </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

paul h,

I got a call for 5th in chicken and finished 9th overall out of 55 teams. There were some really good teams. I had a blast cooking between two teams from Dayton, OH....Jimmy's Hogpen and Getta Que. Aside from almost being in my backyard it is also a first rate contest. It was hot but we did not get the promised rain so everythig was fine.

Paul
Hickory Flats BBQ
Versailles, IN

Back