Off set smoker to be used for dutch ovens (or maybe a grill)

Jeff Padell

TVWBB Pro
I decided to try to multipurpose my New Braunfels offset smoker. I figured if I took the cooking racks out of it I could put in a metal plate about 14x30 inches that would sit above the bottom grates and allow me to put 2 12 inch or 2 14 inch dutch ovens in it to cook. It would have 3 (almost 4) sided wind protection.

The question is, I was thinking of using either thicker aluminum or diamond plate. I was told by the local hardware store that diamond plate and other steels can give of fumes that could be bad for me. They said wrought iron or aluminum or ceramic.

Does anyone have any ideas about this?

I'm not sure of the layout of that smoker with top and bottom grates, but I would gravitate more toward 3/16" - 1/4" thick steel plate for its superior heat sink capability.
Also you'll have to run the fire box pretty hard to keep temps up for the Dutch ovens, won't you ?

Wondering if ceramic floor tile would stand up to the heat of 15-20 charcoal briquettes?

I won't be using the firebox at all, I will be putting 15-20 briquettes right under the dutch ovens, I want to avoid buying the lodge steel table and use what I have

I got thinking about "pizza stones" a rectangular baking stone. That would stand up to heat, but a 14x20 runs about $40

I could wrap it in aluminum foil and then could use it to make pizzas on the smoker after taking the foil off (foil might keep the coal out of it)

I went to Tractor Supply and bought 9 firebricks for $2 each and am going to try that first.

The expanded metal, I would think that the coal would fall through at some point but I might be wrong.

I went to Tractor Supply and bought 9 firebricks for $2 each and am going to try that first.

The expanded metal, I would think that the coal would fall through at some point but I might be wrong.
Make sure the the fire can get air and you should be GTG.

The question is, I was thinking of using either thicker aluminum or diamond plate. I was told by the local hardware store that diamond plate and other steels can give of fumes that could be bad for me.

That sounds like nonsense. If steel "gives off fumes", I'm in real trouble. I have several stainless steel skillets and, if I'm not mistaken, quite a few grills are made of stainless steel.

Maybe for the first five minutes while any protective coating of oil is burned away....

That sounds like nonsense. If steel "gives off fumes", I'm in real trouble. I have several stainless steel skillets and, if I'm not mistaken, quite a few grills are made of stainless steel.

Maybe for the first five minutes while any protective coating of oil is burned away....
They must have meant aluminum.
Aluminum cans burn up and I imagine there are some not-so-good fumes given off.
Aluminum is not a good choice for a fire box anyway....sheds heat too fast.

Jeff;
Since you are just using the bottom to hold a few briqs of charcoal, the fire brick should be perfect. They will be inexpensive and should last nearly forever if you don't drop them on some hard surface. I have been using two thin ones in my Weber OTG for about three years. After all, they put them in fireplaces, etc...

Keep on smokin',
Dale53:wsm:

Jeff, why not use the dutch oven on the ground with charcoal underneath and on the lid. That is the way that they teach the scouts around here,
and is an easy and repeatable method.

I used my old Brink-man S&P as a grill for parties, just layed down a bed of coals along the bottom. I have a few old metal sheet pans and a Lodge CI griddle that I set my DO and other trays on.
Check out the thrift stores, you should find something similar for cheap.

Tim

I am a certified "Old Fart" and can readily understand why the O.P. might want to set the Dutch Oven in a grill. Trying to bend over a dutch oven on the ground is no longer something that sounds like fun to me. However, setting it in my Weber OTG would raise it up to a decent level making it fun, again. Using a grill, you can control the temperature doing it like it is on the ground all the way up to making a controlled oven out of it.

One of my trail buddies makes a FINE cobbler in his dutch oven. We have often used it on canoe (or kayak) trips when weight and bulk are not problems. Of course, when car camping it is also a treat. I used to wow the troops with strawberry shortcake on hunting trips.

Keep on smokin',
Dale53:wsm:

Back